RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop CS6 Review

Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Patron

Re: Photoshop CS6 Review

I would think that the "Base RAW Layer" can display a pixel preview, just like it does for Camera RAW. It can stay that way until you Flatten the file. Then it could render the desired raw, then apply the layers above it, and ultimately flatten it.

With that said, I am not suggesting you can clone on that layer, or any other pixel based functions. You could, however, adjust global sharpening and other RAW based functions. You would need to work with adjustment layers and masks for all the other stuff. While this may be a new concept, it does not mean it can not be done with some ingenuity.

There certainly is huge value in making the attempt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Exactly, completely new "Photoshop Core Version" with the most important tools and adjustment layers only. No 3D, no Video - they could be added as a separate modules.

Regards, Filip

-------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Patron

Yeah, I had suggested that. Kind of like that QuickBooks does for different industries. Then you have the accountant version that has everything.

If you think about it, they could charge like $30 over the base price for each addon. But don't forget, Cable satalite TV are still fighting tooth and nail against the "Ala Carte" way of doing things. Why charge $20/mo when they can charge $80/mo for what is ultimately the same thing to the end user?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
I understand that, but I mean there must be a way how to create one workspace instead two. For example you could have a layer group with Camera RAW data (background layer + adjustments layers ) on the bottom and rendered pixel layer on the top of this group.
Given the resources, anything is possible. It could be possible that Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator could all be one big honking app. Now keep in mind that with a raw converter, new cameras are coming out all the time meaning new raw proprietary formats. Much easier to update ACR for new support compared to having to do this on the entire Photoshop application. Currently you can embed the raw as a smart object with rendered layers as well. But if you want to edit, you end up in ACR, then back again. The controls, but more importantly the entire engine that ACR uses to build RGB pixels is vastly different from the engine you use to edit existing RGB pixels. And I’d submit, as wonderful as ACR is, if you’re serious about working with raw, Lightroom has a number of compelling advantages outside the raw processing engine which is the same in both products (Virtual copies, unlimited history, etc).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Patron

Oh, well, of course I agree with you that professionally, we would be working in Lightroom, Capture One, or similar anyway. I guess part of the trick would be the ability to import (and interpret) that sidecar data on the way in. But of course, all this is wishful thinking anyway, as Adobe is likely busy working on their next "Magnetic" tool. I certainly wouldn't want to disturb them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
And I’d submit, as wonderful as ACR is, if you’re serious about working with raw, Lightroom has a number of compelling advantages outside the raw processing engine which is the same in both products (Virtual copies, unlimited history, etc).
I agree, Adobe made a huge step forward in RAW editing with their last version of ACR. But personally, I don't like Lightroom as there is 90% of tools and functions which I don't use anyway as they don't work for me.

What I am looking for is ACR with Photoshop functions on it. Just a simple software for fast professional retouching.

I was surprised, for example, that we are not able to print from Bridge. I was looking for this function many times but I wasn't successful. As I don't print so often now, I gave up. But isn't it logical to have the ability to print from Bridge?

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Funny i guess I've just never been overly abstracted by the aspects of Photoshop or Lightroom that i don't need to work in my workflow. I've never looked at all the tools for examining medical images but i've never found it to be an issue.

For Lightroom you can control which panels show up in the various modules and hide the ones you don't want to use, along with the modules themselves. Probably not exactly what you want but it could help. There just not going to remove those things to make a program just for retouchers, there is too much cross over, and you never know if a new technique will introduce a new aspect of the program you never previously used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpat13 View Post
For Lightroom you can control which panels show up in the various modules and hide the ones you don't want to use, along with the modules themselves. Probably not exactly what you want but it could help. There just not going to remove those things to make a program just for retouchers, there is too much cross over, and you never know if a new technique will introduce a new aspect of the program you never previously used.
Lightroom is for me just "overmessed" ACR

If you take your work seriously, you will finish your images in Photoshop anyway. And Bridge should be a professional tool for image management, but without the ability to print (or print in batch) isn't.

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 02:20 AM

I would say light room was a solution to creating a manageable workflow when working with large numbers of raw files in a way that bridge (though i love it) couldn't as easily.

All my images always go to Photoshop in the end but that's not hindrance to using lightroom as the raw processor and for controlling the movement of files back and forth as well as the final export. I agree it would be nice to have the ability to print from within bridge but I can see why they didn't.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 02:29 AM

In Bridge you can copy & paste ACR settings:

Edit -> Develop Settings

It works for a batch of images too (shift select).

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software