RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop CS6 Review

Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Re: Photoshop CS6 Review

Bridge canít print, it isnít a database (just a browser), and doesnít offer any of the advantages that cloning ACR into the mix provides compared to LR. Just consider the role of editing your raw masters and having soft proofing that ACR doesnít. On top of the ability to use Virtual copies that have output specific tweaks that take up a few Kís of space on your drive.

Trying to compare Bridge+ACR as being even close to providing the functionality of LR is folly. Now you may not need any of the other capabilities LR provides. Thatís fine. But for many (myself included), just the print module is worth the low price of admission for LR. In terms of workflow, Photoshop+ACR+Bridge doesnít come close.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Bridge canít print, it isnít a database (just a browser), and doesnít offer any of the advantages that cloning ACR into the mix provides compared to LR. Just consider the role of editing your raw masters and having soft proofing that ACR doesnít. On top of the ability to use Virtual copies that have output specific tweaks that take up a few Kís of space on your drive.
It is up to your workflow. When I am editing 100 images for my Photo Book, I wish to have similar basic correction applied to all files. I would choose one "middle" file and I will make few basic corrections and then I will save this preset. After that I will copy and paste these basic ACR settings to all 100 files. And then I will open each one in ACR again with basic corrections applied and make fine tuning. Finally, I will export each file to Photoshop and make final touches. I would compare all files within the Bridge and make last adjustments just to make sure all files are close to each other as much as possible.

Quote:
Trying to compare Bridge+ACR as being even close to providing the functionality of LR is folly. Now you may not need any of the other capabilities LR provides. Thatís fine. But for many (myself included), just the print module is worth the low price of admission for LR. In terms of workflow, Photoshop+ACR+Bridge doesnít come close.
Why is not possible to print from Bridge? I am not a programmer but I would say you need to tell to your printer just "select this file(s) from this folder and print it here" (I hope you understand I simplified this order) Does Photoshop have a database? In my opinion the print module from Lightroom should be included within Bridge too. And you can use soft proofing in Photoshop instead of that one in Lightroom.

Regards, Filip

-------------------------------------------------------
http://shotworldwide.com & http://photoapps.info
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
It is up to your workflow.
Yes and in terms of some workflow, Photoshop+Bridge is really slow and inefficient. Photoshop itself was designed way back in 1990 for a one image at a time workflow. It has to open each document into memory before you can even look at the data let alone edit it. And that structure isnít going to change. Instead, Adobe tries to put hooks into Bridge to make calls to Photoshop but that doesnít circumvent the basic way Photoshop has to deal with pixel based images.

LR is a parametric (instruction based) JIT (Just In Time) editor. It was designed not to be anything like Photoshop (buy one of the main Photoshop architects who got bored working on Photoshop and wanted his own project, Shadowland, to work on).

Photoshop has evolved over 22 years to be all things to all disciplines which makes it kind of bloated, expensive and often difficult to learn or use. LR was built from the ground up for photographers and their workflows. So it makes some sense that retouchers, people working with video, designers and others donít see how LR fits their workflows. And thatís fine.

MS word and InDesign both have text tools and the ability to handle text and insert images. But they are vastly different products for different users and different tasks. Just as both those products have vastly different agriculture for those needs, so does LR. It isnít Bridge+ACR by any stretch. And Bridge+ACR with Photoshop canít do many things that LR can (and in terms of Photoshop, vise versa).

If you talk to the core audience, photographers for whom LR was designed, most will say after awhile ďI use LR 90% of the time, Photoshop 10% of the timeĒ or something along those lines. LR is focused on a group of users and a group of tasks. Photoshop is all over the place. So yes, it is about workflow. Photoshopís, for so many photo centric tasks isnít very workflow efficient, LR is. But thereís all kinds of functionality that LR simply canít do and probably should never attempt to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Does Photoshop have a database? In my opinion the print module from Lightroom should be included within Bridge too.
No, Photoshop isnít a database. Not possible, not going to happen. Same with Bridge, it canít and never will print based on itís core foundation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Yes and in terms of some workflow, Photoshop+Bridge is really slow and inefficient. Photoshop itself was designed way back in 1990 for a one image at a time workflow. It has to open each document into memory before you can even look at the data let alone edit it. And that structure isnít going to change. Instead, Adobe tries to put hooks into Bridge to make calls to Photoshop but that doesnít circumvent the basic way Photoshop has to deal with pixel based images.

LR is a parametric (instruction based) JIT (Just In Time) editor. It was designed not to be anything like Photoshop (buy one of the main Photoshop architects who got bored working on Photoshop and wanted his own project, Shadowland, to work on).

Photoshop has evolved over 22 years to be all things to all disciplines which makes it kind of bloated, expensive and often difficult to learn or use. LR was built from the ground up for photographers and their workflows. So it makes some sense that retouchers, people working with video, designers and others donít see how LR fits their workflows. And thatís fine.

MS word and InDesign both have text tools and the ability to handle text and insert images. But they are vastly different products for different users and different tasks. Just as both those products have vastly different agriculture for those needs, so does LR. It isnít Bridge+ACR by any stretch. And Bridge+ACR with Photoshop canít do many things that LR can (and in terms of Photoshop, vise versa).

If you talk to the core audience, photographers for whom LR was designed, most will say after awhile ďI use LR 90% of the time, Photoshop 10% of the timeĒ or something along those lines. LR is focused on a group of users and a group of tasks. Photoshop is all over the place. So yes, it is about workflow. Photoshopís, for so many photo centric tasks isnít very workflow efficient, LR is. But thereís all kinds of functionality that LR simply canít do and probably should never attempt to do.
I am a Photoshop user. I agree that Lightroom is good enough for majority of photographers but personally I need Photoshop + ACR + Bridge. Majority of photographers use to give their films to be processed to the minilab service. I processed my films by myself

But I see a great potential in ACR engine now and that is the reason why I wish to merge Photoshop and ACR together (we already discussed this above).

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
No, Photoshop isn’t a database. Not possible, not going to happen. Same with Bridge, it can’t and never will print based on it’s core foundation.
But you can print from Photoshop. I use to setup an action for batch printing from Photoshop.

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I am a Photoshop user. I need Photoshop + ACR + Bridge.
ACR and Develop are the same. Bridge just finds files for you (it is a browser). It is Photoshop that is going the image processing. Bridge doesnít process anything really. It simple allows you to view one or more images and make calls to Photoshop that does all the work. Including printing.

Quote:
Majority of photographers use to give their films to be processed to the minilab service. I processed my films by myself
Well that isnít actually true but none the less, of the two groups here, Photoshop (wACR) and LR are the items that process image data. Bridge has zero image processing capabilities. Consider itís name!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
ACR and Develop are the same. Bridge just finds files for you (it is a browser). It is Photoshop that is going the image processing. Bridge doesnít process anything really. It simple allows you to view one or more images and make calls to Photoshop that does all the work. Including printing.

Well that isnít actually true but none the less, of the two groups here, Photoshop (wACR) and LR are the items that process image data. Bridge has zero image processing capabilities. Consider itís name!
As I already explained above, when I edit around 100 images for my Photo Book I use bridge for a quick preview. I usually set up small film strip + one big preview - then I will start on the left hand side and will compare first two images. If I am happy I will move to the third one and compare it with second one. And continue so on ... I am not able to do anything similar within Photoshop or ACR and I don't see the reason to buy Lightroom just because of this.

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2012, 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=andrewrodney;
Bridge has zero image processing capabilities. Consider itís name![/QUOTE]

This may be the case for yourself, but for people who know what they are doing in Bridge it is not!
Have you ever looked at the output module and how it works?
If you have a workflow that you want to create web pictures, Bridge can be lightning fast, creating the files directly in Bridge alone NO Photoshop, it can do resizing and if you really know what you are doing you can add a watermark Bridge only again! Yes I have done it and shown others.

Zero processing? I don't think so!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
This may be the case for yourself, but for people who know what they are doing in Bridge it is not!.
Tell you what. You Zip the Photoshop application or remove it as well as the ACR plug-in which Bridge can call. Launch Bridge and try the kinds opeations being discussed here. Yes, you can save out a PDF (at least on Mac) but that is system level call for all applications anyway.

Processing in ACR or using any image processing that requires PS? Nope.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software