RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Super-Resolution image enlargement software

Old 10-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Re: Super-Resolution image enlargement software

Tony W, and all.
Genuine Fractals which was around even before OnOne or ON1 software packages.
In fact i remember using GF around 1996 by Altamira Software after learning about it in MacWorld magazine.

Genuine Fractals was always touted as one of the best enlargement products on the market and rightly so. Not only was it good it also had batch processing ability.

They kept that claim to fame until Photoshop and other upped their game. Alien Skin Blow Up came on to the scene and many people including me felt that product produced a better enlargement. There is one enlargement software product I have never used called Photozoom and I have no info on that product.

Genuine Fractals is now called ReSize pro and I have used most ever version since Genuine Fractals. ReSize 10 is now part of the On1 Photo 10 package which was just offered to previous owners of OnOne at a substantial discount. I haven't used it that much but it appears to be amazing. However the user interface has a bit to be desired.

I really don't think that the although the concept is similar I doubt the comparison to "CSI" style image enlargement is that great. In a definition by One1 ReSize transforms the image into "resolution independent-assets" eliminating the relationship between pixels and resolution. The image becomes mathematically encoded as an algorithm and the pixels of the original raster image are replaced with a new file structure that stores the entire image and none of the pixels. When you open the image again, you can re-scale it to the desired size and the algorithm will generate new pixels while maintaining sharpness regardless of image size.

I am not sure how Alien Skin Blow Up works. All I know there was a time I preferred it to GF now Resize. As I said when needed Resize will become my new method.

Still I usually resort to Photoshop CS6 or CC which also has a robust enlargement filter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2016, 05:11 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyphoto View Post
Still I usually resort to Photoshop CS6 or CC which also has a robust enlargement filter.
Every so often this type of question pops up in fact this thread seems to have been resurrected.

I am pretty familiar with Genuine Fractals and its newer version Perfect Resize having used both. I raised this question in 2011
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sof...-plug-ins.html

Seems to me that we get an awful lot of subjective 'interwebby' opinions but are rarely offered anything in the way of objective testing. Having done some testing within the last couple of years thought that it might be of interest to post here.

The original image provided by Bart Van Der Wolf was a downsampled JPEG sized at 1398x1745 pixels. This image was resized by a factor of 10x in PR and LR. Attached is a scan of actual prints from both.

The actual full size print @300ppi would be 46.6" x 58.17".

Often when we view on screen we get a false impression, one because of viewing at 100% zoom (around 3x mag. of 100ppi screen, assuming printing to 300ppi printer) and secondly if we resize to print view we do not have enough screen pixels to enable an accurate assessment. Therefore we really need to print and consider the print viewing distance

For instance accepting a ‘normal’ viewing distance of 1.5x print diagonal gives a distance from print for this 46" x 58" of around 9’

At this distance I can see absolutely no difference between LR PR print. Getting closer at 3' the difference is slight but LR appears to be resolving greater detail in the figures and carvings.

At 12” the differences more apparent. PR7 shows improvement in edge sharpness without introducing jaggies that are more apparent in the PS sharpened version. But IMHO loses out in the ability to retain detail again particularly apparent in the carvings although not exactly sharp the impression remains of more detail.

I have to say I am still of the opinion that there is a degree of Snake Oil being sold here by the purveyors of image resizing software. I am sure that image content plays a role here and it is certainly feasible that one system may offer advantages over another. But to date I have not seen any objective repeatable testing that proves the case that a certain software brings much better quality to the table.

I would really like to see some real world examples though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PR_LR.jpg (196.2 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Tony I didn't realize this was an old orig post.
I somewhat have to agree with you...

Every time these things come up. I remind myself of my first wide format printer I actually had even before I had a good digital camera. (during my transition from film to studio digital). I remember the amazing sharp 30X prints i made with my 2 Megapixel Nikon Cool PiX.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software