RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

What OS do you all use? (A lightroom question)

Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 AM

What OS do you all use? (A lightroom question)

I was really pumped about the new features in lightroom. Usually I wouldn't get so excited but it seems they completely reworked some algorithms. So I was using the beta on my laptop, loaded the beta onto my desktop and NO SUPPORT for XP??? I guess I can't blame Adobe as Microsoft is ceasing support for XP. So my question is, am I a dinosaur? I just don't see a huge difference (almost none in fact because I tell W7 to behave like XP) between XP and Windows 7. I keep all the happy crap like fading windows turned off anyway to boost performance.

Obviously I'll have to upgrade sooner rather than later. I guess I just want to know if I'm the only one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Re: What OS do you all use? (A lightroom question)

The only one still using XP? No. When Lr4 came out I remember seeing a few people grousing about having to upgrade. Honestly though, windows 7 works quite well (far better than Vista) and doesn't have the hardware limitations of XP. Of course, I say this now while worrying in the back of my mind about Windows 8........
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM

This is my opinion. It's technology, it doesn't wait for you and there is no room to hold on to sentiment. It's not the old car that you tinker with and drive on weekends. To answer the question, no you're not the only one, you're just one of many wondering why they can't do all the cool things that everyone else is doing. Upgrades are unavoidable, it's the system we built and ask for time and time again by saying "I need it faster".
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

A lot of folks and companies seem to still use XP, because it's tried and true and they prefer the known performance stability of it to the bleeding edge uncertainties of more recent software. Whether one stays put or progresses depends on the kind of work one does.

Similarly, a lot of Mac users still stay with Snow Leopard because Lion and Mountain Lion have taken the Mac OS to a different place while leaving many things behind. I have been one of those users, mainly because two of the main apps I use for graphic design and web development are from 2005 (Canvas X and GoLive 8) and have not been developed further for Mac. Which is not to say I don't use Adobe CS6 and such (I do) or that I don't have most every current app in the known universe (I pretty much do). It's a matter of migrating my workflow forward, which is not always pretty.

I have kept an external drive up to date with the latest Apple OS and this weekend I chose to just boot off of it and see how it goes (I'm in ML now). I have a Snow Leopard Server VM installed and can access and use those couple of older apps, and it is not a horrible experience. So I may just migrate to ML and either keep working this way or wean myself off the older apps (for which there is no perfect replacement yet, though).

Usually with Windows you have more backwards-compatibility than with Apple (who loves to drag users into the future [both hardware and software conspire together in this!], but this is not always a bad thing unless it's done maliciously). I like the way soia1138 describes the situation.

From a app developer's perspective, it's easier to code for the latest OS than for two or three back. And •usually• as software progresses forward it's an improvement. Not always though; many fine apps (such as the two I really need) have been left to die.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 AM

Hmm. I checked the wiki and XP has 42.5 percent of the market share, windows 7 has 42.7.
Interesting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Patron

Users are slowly making their way over! Windows 8 should mix things up a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Patron

Win8 is not a desktop friendly environment for me based on reviews. It doesn't mean that I can learn again to use it if I would decide to use this OS (which by the way I plan on skipping). I do like some of the few GPU accelerated functions for OS operation but still, Win7 (w/ XP Virtual Machine; typing this now in my XP VM) works for me. I created shares between the host and guest and do all my editing in Win7 64-bit and my posting/browsing in XP VM under Sandboxie (so am double-sandboxed). Been doing this since I installed Win7 near 3 years ago now; hard to believe. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Patron

I tried Windows 8 as a desktop VM and it was awkward to use. Other that that, to me it looks like an updated Windows 7 with wrapping paper over it. Maybe it's more fun and useful on the Slab or whatever they call the tablet ;-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 AM

Right....Win8 is not compatible for desktop.I also face lots of problems by using it...It needs some changes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software