RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop: Favorite Filters, Uncommon Uses for Common Filters, Etc.

Old 08-21-2002, 07:44 PM

Texture without messing up colors

You can also use lighting effects for greater control on the texture. See this:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...p?postid=28412
Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2002, 01:35 AM

Plastic-wrap and Neon-glow

I finally found a use for the artistic-->plastic-wrap filter, which I'd never used before. Set it to low detail and maximum smoothness till it coats the whole face and it can be used to make girls look like Barbie dolls! Not that you would necessarily want a plastic face, but you can reduce the opacity of the layer to get a bit of smooth highlighting to softly accent nose, chin, brows, and cheekbones. I used it on challenge #8 (link below) which I named "golden girl," but didn't reduce the opacity as much as I would if I wanted a more photo-realistic result.

http://www.retouchpro.com/challenge/...T8_stewart.jpg

I also found a use for the neon-glow filter. Using luminosity blending mode made the golden glow around her face and eyes.

Two filters, which I'd previously considered useless, and I ended up using them both in one picture...PS is full of surprises! Anyone know another use for either the plastic-wrap or the neon-glow filter?

Phyllis

Last edited by pstewart; 08-23-2002 at 03:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2002, 08:37 PM

Thumbs down Filter-->Stylize-->Diffuse-->Anisotropic

This is absolutely one of my favorite PS filters!

It makes sharp edges into soft wavy lines, so gets rid of jaggies and oversharpened filter effects (such as when you blend with difference, or use a fake painting filter with a sharp setting). Works best on pics with sharp and/or noisy areas; in fact, if you add noise you can get a neat all-over pattern effect.

It also makes lovely wavy shapes from the lines that is very artistic in itself.

The only problem with it that I have found is that it works by making large squares of the swirly pattern, so sometimes the seams are visible. I have always been able to get around this though by turning the canvas 45 or 90 degrees then applying it a second time and sharpening a bit to get rid of the excess softness. It's a nuisance, but for all it does, a bit of extra trouble is a small price to pay for the anisotropic diffuse effect!

Here is an example of anisotropic diffuse used on the tiger cub from manipulation challenge #8. I ran it twice, sharpened the green channel, then applied paint daubs to provide some extremely sharp-edged areas, then ran anisotropic diffuse a final time to get this result.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tigotropic.jpg (76.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 10-15-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2002, 03:35 AM

Great Use for Craquelure Filter!

Texture-->craquelure is excellent for embossing in one step! It doesn't affect the color of the pic at all, as the emboss or lighting methods do, nor does it require multiple steps like the others.

Normally you use this to make cracks and crazing in pictures, but I found that if you set all the sliders to zero, you get a great embossed look! And it's just the right depth for a picture around 600 - 800 pixels wide. So easy! Now that I've found this method, I doubt I will ever emboss a picture any other way!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2002, 03:48 AM

Don't ignore the displace filter.

When I just did retouching and wanted photos only to look like photos, I seldom if ever used the distort-->displace filter. Lately, however, I've been doing a lot of photo art in Danny's forum mini-challenges, and today I finally remembered this filter existed and decided to make use of it.

It's a great way to make fake paintings...you can get all sorts of brushstroke looks etc. from choosing different textures. You can also add your own textures, of course, to extend the possibilities. Most textures give good results with amount settings from 5 - 15, and "tiles" and "wrap around" for the type of displacement.

Since the filter displaces only northwest to southeast, it is helpful to rotate your canvas 90 degrees if you want to apply the texture to the edges it missed the first time, or to add a new texture perhaps.

If you want a heavy paint look, use the craquelure filter mentioned above to emboss your new "painting."

Different blending modes will bring out different areas of the texture, depending on whether they are dark or light, so you can often adjust your results to get a really great look if you experiment a bit. And you will probably want to move the displaced dupe layer a bit to match up with the original picture again before blending.

Phyllis

Last edited by pstewart; 11-01-2002 at 02:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 02:18 AM

The "Custom" Filter

I found a PS7 filter I'd never used before...the "custom" filter under "other." I am very excited about it since it has infinite possibilities. These two butterfly pics were made by setting the upper left box to negative one (and leaving the middle boxes preset at 5 surrounded by four -1's...PS set those). The first pic A is the original, B is the result of applying the filter setting 1, 1, -1 (that's row 1, column 1, type in -1). Pic C shows what happens when that result is faded in luminosity mode, and pic D shows what happens when the original result is faded, instead, in overlay mode.

Anyone else find a good use/setting for the custom filter? We could start a forum just for good settings, and possibly actions we make using it, if anyone has something to add.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custom-1.jpg (79.1 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 07:08 PM

Custom Filter, links to great posts

Two posts by Chris Russ in another tread are by far the best I've every seen RE: The custom filter.

Click here for the first one...

...and here for the second.

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 10:30 PM

I agree with Danny - Chris Russ has done a fantastic job of explaining a very deep subject.

I have lost the link to where I got these custom convolution kernels from - JW Kernels, so I will upload the archive. These are more for artistic use I guess, I am into convolution for more boring production based things like sharpening, incremental movement or edgefinding so I have not used these kernels apart from my initial test to see if they were for me (they are not, but others may have more use for them).

Enjoy.

Stephen Marsh.
Attached Files
File Type: zip jwkernels.zip (5.1 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2002, 03:19 AM

Thanks, guys!

Thanks to Danny and Stephen (and Chris of course) I have found enough info on convolution settings so that I can actually make sense of the custom filter now. It was confusing at first, but I think I'm getting the hang of it a bit better now. Have gotten some neat results with it so far.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2002, 02:02 AM

Gaussian blur with Equalize

Here are two quick and simple ways I found today to get nice effects by combining gaussian blur with the equalize adjustment. Results are both shown on the attached pic.

On the left:

1. Dupe layer, make b/w
2. Invert
3. Gaussian blur
4. Equalize
5. Layer blend mode to overlay

On the right:

1. Dupe layer, make b/w
2. Gaussian blur
3. Equalize
4. Layer blend mode to hard light
5. (Optional) Dupe original, place on top in color mode if desired
6. (Optional) To get an even darker background leaving the subject lit as if glowing, dupe step 4 layer, keeping mode setting, and fade opacity for desired darkness in background.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg equalize_samples.jpg (98.2 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 12-13-2002 at 02:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software