Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

How do YOU handle swatches in Photoshop

Old 08-22-2002, 08:52 PM
I agree that the 256 palette for an 8it indexed colour image is limiting...

But there are times when you have a simple graphic with lesser tones that needs recolouring...simply changing the referenced colour table can be simpler than changing the pixels in the file, which does the same thing at the end of the day.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Also in Photoshop 6, you'll find there are two icons along the bottom of the swatch palette for creating new swatches and deleting swatches. You can drag swatches from the palette to these buttons to add and remove colors from the swatch collection.
-- from the graphicsoft webpage that KenB referred us to in the earlier post.

The fist will work to take the swatch to the trash bin or new swatch icon, but I guess it won't let you move it anywhere else-- of course, I don't even have a clue why moving it somewhere else on the palette would be useful . I went back to my PS 5.5 to add the skintones and haircolor swatches via the change to index color mode, and I couldn't see where version 6 would do that easily. However, when I load them in version 6, there are additonal colors in the swatch file -- colors definitely NOT considered accurate for earthlings. Haven't figured out what I need to do to get that straightened out, but it did load the colors I wanted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Death of web safe colors

I found this article in WebMonkey - it seems that according to their tests, the 256 web safe colors or even the 216 that have been talked about are no longer safe. I think after their testing, they came up with less than 30 that worked on all the configurations and monitors they tried.

Is nothing sacred any more

CJ, I would like to move swatches around so that all the browns were together, all the reds etc. As it is, on some swatch palletes colors are all mixed up.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software