RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

What PS can't do?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Patron

Re: What PS can't do?

The blue cast could be a result of fading particularly with Ektachrome - even the processing of this film could cause blue or magenta casts depending on the chemical balance directly during processing. I used to run tests films through three labs prior to commiting processing of a real shoot to establish which one was running the most neutral process on a particular day!

If these are Kodachromes then this film is pretty good (better than Ektachrome!) in resisting the ravages of time. Worth checking that the blue cast is actually seen on the originals as Kodachrome has a reputation for the potential to produce blue casts during the scanning process. I am sure you will have no problem correcting/neutralising the colour cast though
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
Photoshop can't enlarge as well as some of the other resizing software, like Perfect Resize.
Not according to this Webinar:

RetouchPRO LIVE "Resolution" with Andrew Rodney
http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=arrentals2

Photoshop and better yet Lightroom did a significantly superior job sizing up over Perfect Resize.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Not according to this Webinar:
Photoshop and better yet Lightroom did a significantly superior job sizing up over Perfect Resize.
Not in this case. See attached comparison. Granted this small jpeg does not do it justice, but you can still see the difference. Original, with a resolution of 355ppi, was sized up 250%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250CompareP.jpg (94.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Not in this case. See attached comparison. Granted this small jpeg does not do it justice, but you can still see the difference. Original, with a resolution of 355ppi, was sized up 250%.
Pointless to make an evaluation on a low resolution device like a display, you have to print them out. Who would enlarge a tiny image 250% just to view on a display too?

As the Webinar points out, capture sharpening is key to getting good results with all the various options. Your example shows that pretty well, the PS image needs it big time.

In the case of PR versus Photoshop and LR, without accounting for capture sharpening, all produced similar results, the difference was Photoshop took about 12 seconds to process the data, PR took over 5 minutes (and it ain't free).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Pointless to make an evaluation on a low resolution device like a display, you have to print them out. Who would enlarge a tiny image 250% just to view on a display too?
What I could post here had to be small, so I chose a small selection of the much larger image. The original was sized up 250%, not for a display, for a printed banner. The original is a 3D rendering, output at 355ppi at 30inches by 10inches and is very sharp. Output from Vue. The banner is 75 inches by 25 inches. Photoshop began developing a hex pattern, even when enlarging in increments using bicubic smoother. Perfect Resize did a much better job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
What I could post here had to be small, so I chose a small selection of the much larger image. The original was sized up 250%, not for a display, for a printed banner.
Understood. But the display is not the right vehicle to evaluate the work, a print is. In the Webinar I did, the image was equally huge but I output an 8x10 section to an Epson 3880 to evaluate the quality of the upsizing. What looks good on screen may not look great on print or more likely, what looks quite different on screen may not show up on a print. Your display is at best, 110 or so PPI or less. A low resolution output device. The Epson is producing (in this case) output of 2880dpi. Ideally you'd view the two at proper viewing distance too, but viewing them up close (as any photographer would) is telling. The same is true trying to sharpen an image for output by viewing the effect on screen. An image that looks pretty butt ugly and over sharpened often looks much better on the print then an image that looks less sharpened, better appearing on the screen alone. The screen is the weak link here unless your final output happens to be for screen. Then What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG). Not the case for output to print. And the print technology plays a big role too (difference between a halftone output, an ink jet, a true contone output device like a Lambada).

PR has sharpening options. Of course so does Photoshop. IF you compare the upsize of PR with no sharpening as well as no sharpening in Photoshop, the differences in the two are not very great but the time (and cost) between the two is. FWIW, the best results ON A PRINT came from good capture sharpening in Lightroom/ACR and upsizing there. It was also the fastest to process. If memory serves, LR took a few seconds to do everything, PR took over 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM

Shoku, TY for the response. Sadly I can't use Perfect BW because I'm one of the 50% market share still hanging onto XP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Tony, no, the slides all have that blue cast. I actually kind of like it especially on some of the shots of New York City and the Statue of Liberty. Seems to add something.

Andrew, ty for the video, watching it now.
Ooops, spoke too soon, I'm poor. Maybe another time. I'll keep it bookmarked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
What's that mean (operates in Lab I assume you mean natively)? There's no such thing as a Lab capture or output device, the raw has to end up in some RGB space at some point. So there's a conversion from RGB to Lab, and that's useful because?

I agree some people edit naively in LAB (it has it's uses but has been greatly over sold too).
True, it's all RGB data to begin with, but LAB curves are very powerful in how they let you adjust the image. It's sorta like comparing the healing brush with frequency separation. They can both do the same thing, but one offers you way more control than the other.

http://www.darktable.org/2012/02/mas...b-tone-curves/

The program also offers LAB blend if functions.

http://www.darktable.org/2012/07/som...onal-blending/
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaverick View Post
You can do these type of adjustments in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software