RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

What PS can't do?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM

What PS can't do?

Hi all!
Quick question, do you use any 3rd party add ons that you feel you need because they do something PS won't do?
I looked at onone and I don't see anything I would use. I looked at NIK and while Silver Efex Pro 2 and VIVEZA 2 look like a lot of fun I'm just not seeing them as necessary. Am I missing out?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM

Re: What PS can't do?

I have to say that having tried all three plugins that NIK Silver Efex Pro is the best I've found for black and white conversions.

Topaz has a pretty good equivalent to the old program Buzz that we "artists" used to use.

OnOne, however, was a HUGE and expensive disappointment!!! Despite numerous complaints and one-on-one visits with OnOne personnel, the program kept crashing my computer. The last time I installed it, after advice from OnOne (mind you), I had to get a whole new computer. I have since talked to OnOne people who said that the particular version I used was known for having problems and that in subsequent versions the problems have been fixed. Nevertheless, I'm not going to invest in a program with a dicey track record and risk losing again. That said, I've heard people who really like OnOne for gigantic resizing and extractions.

Not that I've answered your questions in my rant, but I believe NIK and Topaz are both good products and worth the investment.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Photo stitching is a huge weakness of photoshop, at least as of CS4... I haven't needed to upgrade, but I haven't heard of any new stitching functions. I use Hugin for anything like that. Far more control.

For RAW development, you should take a serious look at Darktable, that's an open source raw processor that is far more powerful than anything Adobe is currently offering. It's native to Linux, but there is an OSX port that is active, no one has bothered with Windows porting. The program operates naively in LAB, which is much higher quality and offers all kinds of radical selection tools that are more precise than just a paint brush thing. You can use many different blending modes along with blend if functions to isolate, modules can be duplicated for multiple instances, etc... It's open source, but the developers are aiming it squarely at professionals and the development has been regular and rapid. I'm using it for my commercial clients when shooting composites, they offer a unique live view overlay tool that helps with lining up shots. It's an incredible program.

Edit: I just realized you were looking for Add-ons LOL... well in that case... I've heard Perfect Resize 7.5, formerly Genuine Fractals, is a must have for blowing up images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM

Janet, I'm usually worried when I see massive ad campaigns by a company ie. Onone. Makes me wonder why word of mouth isn't working for them. So your rant did really help, user feedback is what I am looking for and yours is enough to make me maybe take a closer look at Topaz and Nik and stay clear of Onone.

Cardmaverick, No, addons are great but stand alones interest me too. Anything that can do things better than PS. I know there are some things that other programs can do differently, I'm just not aware of any that do anything clearly better.

Darktable sounds like it rocks! Unfortunately, I'm a PC guy. I've always thought that PS does a decent job with stitching and HDR but, I will say NOTHING makes my hard drive grind like stitching a large panorama in PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaverick View Post
The program operates naively in LAB, which is much higher quality and offers all kinds of radical selection tools that are more precise than just a paint brush thing.
What's that mean (operates in Lab I assume you mean natively)? There's no such thing as a Lab capture or output device, the raw has to end up in some RGB space at some point. So there's a conversion from RGB to Lab, and that's useful because?

I agree some people edit naively in LAB (it has it's uses but has been greatly over sold too).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Patron

I use almost the whole Nik product suite: ColorEfex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro, Dfine, and sometimes Nik HDR Pro.

I use Viveza very seldom, I prefer working in Lab color for landscapes and between Lightroom and Lab color I seldom need Viveza.

I also use OnOne Perfect Effects, it has some really nice capabilities.

For HDR I use Photomatix.

For enlargements I use Alienskin Blowup (great product!).

For photo-stitching I use Photoshop but I'm actively looking for another product that can work when Photoshop does a bad job, and it does fairly often for me.

I use Lightroom for a lot of things like color enhancement, then I go into Photoshop.

Photoshop does all these things but plugins do a lot of things better or more they make things easier than Photoshop does.

For photo-stitching I use Photoshop but I'm actively looking for a better product to use when Photoshop does an inadequate or bad job, which it often does for my images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Hi Robert, thank you for the detailed response. Right now I'm obsessed with B/W conversion. Between Onone's free presets ( I have not tried their Perfect Black and White) NIK SilverEfex and Alienskin's Exposure 4 by far my favorite is Exposure 4. I was surprised, I expected NIK to be better but I'm finding I really like the attempt to duplicate standard film and that gives me at least an idea of the starting point. Also, NIK just makes my system drag and it takes a long time for the process
to work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Patron

Hi CrazyFly1,

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know that Exposure has black and while film presets included. I need to try a couple more beside Nik Silver Efex, although Nik does a great job. Between Lightroom and Nik I get a nice range of black and white treatments depending on the image, so more variety would be even better. Altogether over time I've counted up to 30 different plug-ins I've used, plus lots of hand-tweaking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Hi Robert, thank you for the detailed response. Right now I'm obsessed with B/W conversion.
You should watch this free video and then ask yourself if you can’t do what you wish with the tools you have (at least ACR or Lightroom):

http://mulita.com/blog/?p=1244
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 PM

I'm starting another thread with samples of pics processed with exposure 4 for anyone who's interested.

Last edited by crazyfly1; 02-27-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software