RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Re: Adobe Creative Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazca13 View Post
Well, today Adobe is basically going on in for Creative Cloud and rename it CC instead of CS. They are offering 40% discounts until JUly 31... I will have to head this route soon, but I am happy I have the CS5 master suite just in case..

I would like to know what happens when your membership expires or lapses? what happens to your work??
The discount is only good for the first year of the contract:
http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...ing-guide.html

I would like to know if they will continue to offer discounts to those who renew their subscriptions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

nazca13, your work is saved locally as before but won't open... Not in PS anyway.

I'm reading that some who took advantage of Adobe's last deal awhile back are mad because it only bought them the last dead version (CS6) and now they have to pay all over again...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul View Post
With the Cloud, once I stop my membership I will have nothing, correct? And that bothers me. I put all that money in monthly payments but have nothing to walk away with, if I understand correctly.
And the difference between this and renting a house or apartment or car is?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Patron

Mike, funny, someone on another forum used that exact same analogy in a negative way, ie, you've got nothing to show for it in the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
nazca13, your work is saved locally as before but won't open... Not in PS anyway...
I would hope that Adobe have not changed CC to the extent that newer psd files will no longer open in earlier versions of Photoshop that would be a really bad move IMHO.

Mike, I too cannot see that there is any real difference in this model to rental in as much as when you decide to quit paying your software is repossessed.

Some argue that you have been given all new features during the term of your contract with Adobe and this may be very worthwhile for them. On the other hand I believe there are many that would prefer to own a perceptual licence and make the decision when an upgrade is required based on the particular benefits of upgrading.

It does seem a shame that Adobe are not at this time considering offering an alternative to CC membership in the form of perpetual licencing and my hope is that given time they will realise that they are missing a potential revenue stream and rectify the situation. Having said that it looks like CC is a success story at least going from the rumoured 2.5 million that have signed up. So we may have a long wait for perpetual licencing if it is to come!

I have no downs on Adobe in fact quite the opposite to date at least but I do not want to enter into a lifetime agreement with them.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

EDIT: just spotted my mistake I meant perpetual licence not perceptual. Still it is all Relative and never Absolute it is just that I am Saturated by all the info and never had any Intent to mike mistooks

Last edited by Tony W; 05-09-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM

Adobe have us by the short and curlies. They are going to make more money out of me for a service I don't want or need. However, I'll have to play along because over a short period of time they will introduce compatibility issues for legacy software. All under the guise of customer care/improvement/ongoing yada yada etc. Will we require individual PS rental agreements for all our desktops and laptops?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Patron

I would not all be shocked if lack of backwards compatibility was introduced... Apple plays that game.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I would not all be shocked if lack of backwards compatibility was introduced... Apple plays that game.
In terms of Adobe, examples if any, please.

Backwards compatibility has been a factor from day one, nothing new here!
IF you used the first version of Photoshop to create layers (version 3), going back to 2.5 would result in an inability to use Layers. Duh!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Patron

No previous examples of course, but I meant it would be brilliant move by Adobe to encourage/move/force folks onto the subscription model. Only time will tell, and I may be wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
No previous examples of course, but I meant it would be brilliant move by Adobe to encourage/move/force folks onto the subscription model. Only time will tell, and I may be wrong.
With the shitstorm within the last 36 hours and the severe misinformation about CC, we don't really need additional FUD do we?

There's enough about CC subscriptions that are real we can complain about.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software