RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Adobe Creative Cloud

Fair enough, we wait and see how my hypothetical and other real concerns play out.

As for "severe misinformation", that's Adobe's PR problem. I've read various forums and am currently plowing through LuLa and it seems any misperception is obviously not •entirely• the end users' fault.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
As for "severe misinformation", that's Adobe's PR problem. I've read various forums and am currently plowing through LuLa and it seems any misperception is obviously not •entirely• the end users' fault.
Indeed, when they post info that's just incorrect. I'll agree they could have been more clear but all the misinformation I've read (like the software runs on the cloud) are all from clueless end users. I found one older Adobe page that was wasn't clear about should a CC user be forced to update CC (no, you don't) and Adobe fixed it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Patron

The bigger the corporation the more of this we can expect to see, it's just the way it works. And updating the website is sometimes not coordinated with PR releases and such, or something is easily missed.

And yes, the term "cloud" is, shall we say, nebulous... ;-) Maybe not the best choice of branding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I would not all be shocked if lack of backwards compatibility was introduced... Apple plays that game.
double negative? tripple double negative = positive? or was that double negative plus a positive equals ... wait, what did you say?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
I would hope that Adobe have not changed CC to the extent that newer psd files will no longer open in earlier versions of Photoshop that would be a really bad move IMHO.
Think about it. You want to use CC, with some new functionally only it understands. You save say a Smart Object with the new Shake Reduction on one layer. If you think moving a version back is going to allow you to use this layer, you're crazy <g>.

Last week, before this announcement about subscription, who here would even consider upgrading to a new version of Photoshop (or ANY software), use new functionality, then want to know if they can go back to an older version. NO! Now you can flatten that new, proprietary processing that only CC understands and open that doc in CS6.

I've applied Shake Reduction with CC on a layer. That data is processed and lives on a good old, standard Layer. I can save that as a PSD or TIFF AND OPEN IT IN CS6!

Photoshop 3 introduced layers. If you built a document that way, guess what, you can't open that in Photoshop 2. It didn't support layers. You could flatten it and save off a TIFF or PSD and open it in PS 2, no problem.

If you have a current version of PS, why would you be concerned about an older version opening that data? A CS5 doc can't be opened in Photoshop 2. This was true before CC subscription and it's true after.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Patron

Andrew, I'm (sincerely) confused (or am I missing some humor?). First you said we shouldn't expect to be able to apply new CC features to layers and then open them in a previous version. Then you said you did just that (??).

Also, you've brought up PS 2.5 a couple of times (ironically, the version I first started with). Layers showed up in v3. What is the earliest version that will open CS6 layers? (Just curious.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Andrew, I'm (sincerely) confused (or am I missing some humor?). First you said we shouldn't expect to be able to apply new CC features to layers and then open them in a previous version. Then you said you did just that (??).
Depends on the layer and/or new functionality. Smart Object, no way. A layer whereby you've used an internal 'filter' like Shake Reduction yes, because it 'pastes' the edited data on a layer.

Quote:
Also, you've brought up PS 2.5 a couple of times (ironically, the version I first started with). Layers showed up in v3. What is the earliest version that will open CS6 layers? (Just curious.)
My first version was 1.0.7! Anyway, IF you built a layered doc from version 3, you could not open it in version 2. One understood layers, the older one didn't. So going backwards here, or trying to go backwards (CC to CS6) isn't a good idea. Nor a common move!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
My first version was 1.0.7!
Yes, and Schewe too, I know... ;-)

And I already understand the "can't go backwards to 2" concept. Thanks for clarifying the rest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, and Schewe too, I know... ;-).
Nope, he's a late bloomer <g> I think he started on 2.5.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Patron

Quote:
Sometimes falling feels like flying, for a little while... Sure this is a great deal FOR AWHILE, then the cost just goes on and on and on.

Not providing critical bug fixes for already purchased products is not cool. There should never be a charge for those and they should never be withheld because that's developer error....

Should be interesting to watch this play out (especially for home users). Thankfully decent enough alternative apps are available for free or cheap.
THAT is the real essence of the problem. Adobe has instituted a perpetual micro-mortgage that customers never pay off. And that mortgage payment is certain to only go up over time. Some enterprise software companies like SAS have a rental model, and many customers don't like that at all. It costs dearly over time.

The good news (for some of us, anyway) is that CS6 should work quite well for a very long time. Calvin Hollywood and Michael O are both still using CS2 to do their amazing work! So CS6 should be plenty.

Hopefully Adobe won't start charging for bug fixes. That said, almost every software company has an end-of-life time frame for each version, after which they will not fix bugs for that version any more.

In addition, one sneaky, bad trick Adobe could still play on us non-CC customers, though, is to issue an "update" or rig things back in the factory that will shut off our ability to switch computers when our current computer dies. That would force people to move to CC or switch products.

As for me, I'm going to move all my PSD files to layered TIFF format so I have a wider choice of editors should Adobe implement such a thing. And to protect myself from being forced to move to CC in the future should I encounter another product that I like better than CS6.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software