RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Adobe Creative Cloud

Andrew, IIRC Jeff mentioned having (maybe not actually using) BarneyScan.

Robert, I was under the impression (from years ago) that Adobe invented layered TIFFs. What else opens them?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post

In addition, one sneaky, bad trick Adobe could still play on us non-CC customers, though, is to issue an "update" or rig things back in the factory that will shut off our ability to switch computers when our current computer dies. That would force people to move to CC or switch products.
If you still have your CS6 installer on disc or your hard drive, and the there is no OS conflicts, they really can't disallow you to install on a new computer right?
In theory, as long as you deactivate PS from your old computer you should be okay.
Right? What do you guys think?

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Patron

A visual for photographers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greedy.jpg (40.4 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Think about it. You want to use CC, with some new functionally only it understands. You save say a Smart Object with the new Shake Reduction on one layer. If you think moving a version back is going to allow you to use this layer, you're crazy <g>.
You may be correct and I am crazy, however I did not explain fully in my reply to this
Quote:
your work is saved locally as before but won't open... Not in PS anyway...
Accepted that there is no way that you could go back to older software and expect that it understands and can apply newer functionality. My point being that as long as Adobe had not changed the psd format then (and with the exceptions you mentioned) it should be possible to open a file
Quote:
If you have a current version of PS, why would you be concerned about an older version opening that data? A CS5 doc can't be opened in Photoshop 2. This was true before CC subscription and it's true after.
Yes but a CS6 file using standard fare such as curves, HSL etc. can be opened in CS4 at least and if you happen to share psd with colleagues using older software then a major change needs to be understood properly in terms of compatibility
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Andrew, IIRC Jeff mentioned having (maybe not actually using) BarneyScan.

Robert, I was under the impression (from years ago) that Adobe invented layered TIFFs. What else opens them?
Good point I thought about that, too, last night. I planned to make a layered TIF and a flattened TIF copy. I knew that not all apps open layered TIFFs but I didn't know Adobe invented them. I haven't used enough programs to know if any other program opens layered TIFFs or not. If the answer is 'no' then I'll make flattened TIFF copies as well.

Quick question here as well - are there non-Adobe photo editing programs that work on PSDs? If yes, do they support layers?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
If you still have your CS6 installer on disc or your hard drive, and the there is no OS conflicts, they really can't disallow you to install on a new computer right?
In theory, as long as you deactivate PS from your old computer you should be okay.
Right? What do you guys think?

--shift studio.
They could do it two ways:

1. Through an "update" that disables transfer to another computer
2. By putting their 'phone home' license tracking/registering functionality into end of life at their headquarters.

#2 is very easy for them to do. That will prevent us from being able to re-register and re-validate our license, which is required each time we install the software onto a new computer to make sure we don't activate on more than 2 computers at a time.

If we can't successfully register and activate our licenses on the new computer, the software will shut down in 30 days. Then (from Adobe's perspective), problem solved.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
are there non-Adobe photo editing programs that work on PSDs? If yes, do they support layers?
GIMP does, Pixelmator does, maybe Paint.net, maybe Corel PSP (I'm on a Mac right now w/o Windows VM open). Of course any proprietary Adobe layer stuff won't translate.

BTW, I wonder if Adobe would have made this move if Steve Jobs were still alive?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
And the difference between this and renting a house or apartment or car is?
Mike, you still have two options: to buy a house/car for their full price or to rent them …

Nobody is forcing you to rent them for a higher price than their actual cost.

---------------------------------------------------------
http://photoapps.info and http://shotworldwide.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
GIMP does, Pixelmator does, maybe Paint.net, maybe Corel PSP (I'm on a Mac right now w/o Windows VM open). Of course any proprietary Adobe layer stuff won't translate.

BTW, I wonder if Adobe would have made this move if Steve Jobs were still alive?
Thanks. I'll give those apps a try.

Why might Steve Jobs' presence have influenced Adobe on this decision? I think they started a cloud offering while he was still alive, didn't they?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Patron

Steve Jobs crossed my mind since he wasn't on the best terms with Adobe. I don't know if he would have applauded the move or condemned it. Either way it wasn't aimed specifically at Mac users nor would it affect them as Flash did.

Speaking of Apple, awhile back they had a patent application for some sort of new graphics (imaging?) app.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software