RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Adobe Creative Cloud

Just wondering if anyone is using Adobe Creative Cloud for CS6 and how is it, any lag time, worth the cost??

curious, chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Re: Adobe Creative Cloud

Working fine on this end. FWIW, writing on the wall is that you'll end up having to go this route some day (soon). Thankfully it's working OK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Super worth the cost. You're not actually using the program from the cloud, you download it onto a max of 2 computers.

I never bought the Creative Suite, but with the monthly payments it's a lot easier to buy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM

I'm trying to understand the benefits of the Cloud membership. On one side, you get access to a wealth of programs for relatively low cost. On the other hand what happens when you stop your membership?

For instance if I purchase Adobe Master Collection, then I have it. I might not have the most recent version (unless I keep up with the upgrades), but I own a version of the program.

With the Cloud, once I stop my membership I will have nothing, correct? And that bothers me. I put all that money in monthly payments but have nothing to walk away with, if I understand correctly. I could accept it more if the Cloud was at least more like a rent-to-own program, where if I needed to stop membership I might at least get something for my payments.

Despite my concerns, I agree that the writing is on the wall. We just purchased Captivate a few months ago and Adobe has since made an update to it, but the update is only available to subscription customers. We can't even purchase the update, so we are left with a buggy program and lack the new changes until we purchase a subscription or Adobe makes an upgrade available.

Last edited by T Paul; 04-11-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM

I hate subscription programs. I really feel like Adobe is ransoming me. I prefer to pay 500 Euros once (or whatever the price for the Student Version was when I bought it) than having to pay 35 euros every month for many many years. It's just a nicer feeling when you own something for life. And in the end the subscription becomes much more expensive. I bought a boxed version of CS6 (Upgrade) about a month ago and I feel that in its current state Photoshop is more or less complete, I can't possibly imagine what the next version could offer me that would be a 'must' when it comes to retouching images in the next decade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 AM

I think the obvious upside to renting the program is that all the updates are free. Switch to CS7? Well you're paying for the cloud not a single program, so free update.

Also I use Indesign, photoshop and illustrator all the time, then after effects and audition sometimes. I even play with Muse a bit.

Then it gets a LOT cheaper than buying the whole Master collection.

But whatever floats your boat, I'm happy with this, but I can see people would rather OWN a product. Which is very rare these days, music, video games, programs.... it's all in the cloud.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM

Nice scam Adobe! I didn't see it coming. Thanks so much, Adobe ,for advertising special upgrade prices for CS3 and up users to upgrade to CS6 Master Collection by December 31, 2012. Thanks for wasting my money - it took a long time to save up for that. What, you got got behind payments on your 4th vacation home or something so you needed to scam me for it. I'd like to see a class action lawsuit and a full refund!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Sometimes falling feels like flying, for a little while... Sure this is a great deal FOR AWHILE, then the cost just goes on and on and on.

Not providing critical bug fixes for already purchased products is not cool. There should never be a charge for those and they should never be withheld because that's developer error. New features, that's a different story (and as YoungRetoucher said, will they really be worth it?).

Should be interesting to watch this play out (especially for home users). Thankfully decent enough alternative apps are available for free or cheap.

BTW, what features are in CC Photoshop that aren't in the Enterprise version? There is a little gap in version numbers between the two.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Well, today Adobe is basically going on in for Creative Cloud and rename it CC instead of CS. They are offering 40% discounts until JUly 31... I will have to head this route soon, but I am happy I have the CS5 master suite just in case..

I would like to know what happens when your membership expires or lapses? what happens to your work??
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM

what makes me laugh is now i need a vacation to learn and apply all the new stuff in CC (creative cloud)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software