RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

The future of editing.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Patron

Re: The future of editing.

What I like about PhotoReactor too is the ability to embed the flow in your saved jpeg (metadata). Very cool feature an adds a very small fraction to the size of the saved jpeg to boot. You get the exact flow; how cool is that? Just purchased the program yesterday evening; have to admit that I've not toyed with it since the initial beta but will experiment some more with it over time. Oscar did a pretty good job with it for sure. The ability to reuse your flows is what makes PR so attractive to me. I'm sure the folks that use FilterForge could already tell you that though. lol

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Sweepstake on when Adobe will adopt nodes for Photoshop over layers - I think I will have £1 on the twelfth of never

I do agree that nodes offer a unique way of working, but they certainly are not new and imagine all the old duffers like me trying to learn again! I barely cling on to what I have
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Patron

Click here for the result. I really like the nodes idea. How do you group jump with layers? You can easily do so with nodes. Talk about self-documenting as well. Makes anyting done w.r.t using a layers program for self documenting obsolete. Note, the result is an artistic interpretation but you can easily have the flow used for faking HDRs or just to do simple adjustments and you can re-use that flow whenever you want on another image. How cool is that? The future is here. I sure do hope the GIMP developers will allow nodal editing which GEGL has that ability built in by the way (a matter of just adding the additional hooks to implement). I'm sure when PS first came out, folks were use to another way of editing and were hessitant to adopt PS at first since it was one of the first photo-editing programs. Not sure if nodes will be PS's paradigm like the crystal oscillator for watches was to the Swiss, but time will tell.
Attached Images
File Type: png flow.png (78.1 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Click here for the result. I really like the nodes idea. How do you group jump with layers?
For creating effects nodes are great (check out Filter Forge). In PS you can create a layer stack for a special effect, save that file, then in the future swap out the base image and the same effect will be applied to the new image. Or you could create an action to do the same thing, many of which are available free or for $$ online.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Patron

Actions/scripts are cool, but I still say nodes are the way to go. I guess I just think graphically so it's more easy for me to embrace this concept. Oh, don't get me wrong. I know how to use layers in my own way, but I can see myself working strictly with nodes one day; just saying.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software