RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

The future of editing.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Patron

The future of editing.

I've mentioned node editing in the past (here and elsewhere). Oscar (MediaChance) is working on just such an editor and, again, this is the future of editing. Layers are so yesterday. I had to use similar interfaces when I was and Electrical Engineer (used both Simulink and LabVIEW) so the interface is very intuitive to me. Self-documenting editors is going to be the next great thing to photo-editing sooner then later. You can also easily re-use your nodes since you can save them for just that. Oscar even is going to allow you to save the nodes as embedded data in jpegs (only adds maybe 30K or so the the file size) so your documented flow will actually be stored in the jpeg itself; fantastic stuff. Just wanted to share a screenshot (result is not so good; just getting familiar with the inteface). being able to share a layer and branch out the layer to other controls then re-mix them is not such a trivial task in conventional editors such as Photoshop or GIMP but it is quite a trivial thing to do in a node editor such as Photoreactor. Click here for the main support thread for PhotoReactor. Hopefully Oscar will release this gem soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg future_of_editing.jpg (199.0 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 PM

Re: The future of editing.

You can accomplish this in Filter Forge or Postworkshop. Nodes have been around a long time as material editors in 3D software, like Maya, Lightwave, Vue, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Patron

I know Shoku; I have PostworkShop Pro already. Still, to have a dedicated editor for photos that is a Node Editor is a great thing. I've played with PostworkShop Pro for photo-editing already too (node interface), but I'm like Photoreactor's interface better (feels less clunky to me anyway). Still, regardless of your node-editor if choice, Node editing is here to stay and is the way to edit photos if you ask me. You have an easy to follow self-documented flow to boot and your flows can be reused for other photos easily; that's the benifit of node-editing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 AM

Node editors look so confusing to me. I understand they are powerful... but I just dread looking at them... Layers seem more intuitive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 AM

Hi! Excuse for my ignorance, I am sure I could google nodes and find pages up and down about it, but would it be possible to explain in short what nodes are? And maybe also a short list of benefits?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Patron

w.r.t. this topic, a node is the pins of the box where you link wired connectors to. The box is the control that allows you to adjust an image (these boxes can have any numerous of functions such as gausian blur or sharpen or overlay (requires 2 node inputs for overlay of course). The benifit is you create a flow that you can allow again to other images besides the original target if you need to. That, I believe, is how Filter Forge creates filters, but I don't have FF yet but may soon get it since I know even a few GIMPers that have this gem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Thanks for the info Lyle! I have PostworkShop and Filter Forge but shy away from the nodes... But I do agree they represent much under-the-hood power.

I would think layers will still have their place as nodes tend to work with stacking effects but don't support manual layer masking/erasing and such, am I correct?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Patron

You can have masking for nodes plugs; even PostworkShop Pro allows you to have a mask block and you can paint within that block for masking. Still, I think a hybrid approach will inevitibly be the outcome much like how PostworkShop Pro allows. You get the best of both worlds then.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Thanks Lyle!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Patron

This looks a bit confusing to me. Also, what if you want to see a full-screen image or a 200% image like you can do easily in Photoshop and have all the layers nicely and neatly stacked on the side of the screen?

Unless this is literally a sea change that I'm not seeing right now, I'm sure layers will be around for quite some time to come. They work very well and they're very intuitive... I do believe it's possible for a hybrid approach to be possible in the future if there are things that nodes can do easier, faster and better, but I'm not seeing it on that screen.

The one thing I'd like improved about Photoshop is persistent history of the type Lightroom can do.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 04-29-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software