RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Colorthink Pro can any users explain?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Patron

Re: Colorthink Pro can any users explain?

Thanks for the heads up I did not know that gamut warning were a little suspect!

Must say that I seem to rarely use the gamut warning and have relied on soft proofing to be very close to wysiwig - so far without any problems other than those user induced .

Having said that I have been very much PS oriented for printing and softcopy and only now beginning to see the potential benefits of printing via LR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Patron

Printing in Lightroom is fine and can work well, but there are differences between printing in LR vs. printing in PS. For me, the colors didn't match exactly so I stayed with printing in Photoshop until trying it again recently. Now with PS CS6 vs. Lightroom 4 I'm happier with what I'm getting, the match is noticeably better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM

At least on Mac, LR and Photoshop produce identical (measured) results. If you are getting differing results, something is amiss.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Patron

I was never keen in printing from Lightroom due to the fact that there was no soft proofing prior to v4, other than from a plugin which I did not try. Without the facility I too had issues with print matching so I have stuck with PS and found that I could pretty much guarantee the print to screen results.

Now LR has improved considerably in this area. The only thing that throws me a little is output sharpening in the Print module as there seems to be limited settings Low, Standard or High, Media type glossy or matt and setting for image PPI.

Still I suspect that with a little time I will get used to this and having read a few comment by Jeff Schewe extolling the virtues of LR printing then I can absolutely believe that this is a good way to print and may prove better than the old methods I used in PS. I have a great deal of respect for the opinions of Mr Schewe, even so I still just have to prove to myself
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
At least on Mac, LR and Photoshop produce identical (measured) results. If you are getting differing results, something is amiss.
I'm on a PC. Unfortunately I'm sure that explains a lot of it.... And it is going much better with LR 4 than it did with prior LR versions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Still I suspect that with a little time I will get used to this and having read a few comment by Jeff Schewe extolling the virtues of LR printing then I can absolutely believe that this is a good way to print and may prove better than the old methods I used in PS. I have a great deal of respect for the opinions of Mr Schewe, even so I still just have to prove to myself
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's better than PS, at least not in my case. But it's good.

Regarding soft proofing, I'm glad it works for you. I saw Jeff Schewe demo it in an Epson seminar a few years ago, he gave a very clear explanation and then I gave it a try, but after a few time using soft-proofing the soft-proofed screen ceased to look like the print.

The screen didn't change, my eyes did. So after awhile those simulated paper colors on the screen just did not look like the actual print any more to me, and the more often I tried it, the more I noticed that difference. That difference became like that little spot on somebody's shirt - the more I stared at it, the bigger it looked to me

So I don't blame soft-proofing, I just figure that I either need to get used to it or stay with my current eyeball method, which I've gotten to work well, thankfully.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I gave it a try, but after a few time using soft-proofing the soft-proofed screen ceased to look like the print.
Then you have a display calibration/print viewing condition issue. Soft proofing isn't going to be 100% spot on, but a high 90% value is possible and it's better than not, meaning a lower or worse screen to print match.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software