RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

When do you upgrade?

Old 09-07-2002, 05:04 PM

I don't usuall upgrade anything unless it offers me features I need or want as the case may be. I think I'll stick with photoshop 6 for quite some time yet.
Yet, I too am thinking about upgrading my win98 to win 2000 or XP but I'm not sure if I should just stick with what I have. So I'd be very interested to read what others think about upgrading systems. My reson for thinking of upgrading I'm hoping to get better performance from my system with an upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2002, 06:42 PM
thatmold

on my pc. i upgraded from win98 to XP a few months ago.. or maybe 6 or 7 months ago. i cant exactly remember.

but i do remember that the o.s. was pretty stable for a few weeks. then just crashed all the time.. maybe it was due to other programs i had installed or something. i dont know.. but.. after i cleaned out my computer, and reinstalled XP, it's been fine..

i cant remember the old o.s. so i dont know how much i really like the upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2002, 10:20 PM

Interesting . . . When the healing brush came out, that was enough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2002, 09:06 PM

OS update/upgrade

I have been reading about everybodys thoughs on OS updates or possible upgrades, when it comes to Windows I would recomend XP or waiting for Microsofts next OS suppose to be released around christmas or the beginning of next year.

MS-XP is the most stable OS they have ever released but all of the other Windows OS's (except Millenium) can maintain fairly good stability if you do what you can to avoid or block malicious active-X and Java scripts and controls that you pickup by surfing the web and opening junk email, this is what breaks down the Windows OS.

Although XP is more closely campareable to Mac-OS which is baased on the Unix system, XP is shipped with PC-cillin 2000 which blocks active-X and Java scripts and controls that damage Windows OS.

The next OS to come from Microsoft will be even more closely related to the Mac-OS and the Unix system. What does this mean? It means that Microsofts new OS will be even more stable than XP and the opreation speeds will increase.

Why does a Mac perform applications tasks faster than a PC even though they both are using the same CPU speeds, the same RAM speeds? It's the Mac-OS that does the job more proficiently than MS-Windows does but that is now starting to change and PC using a better OS based on the Unix system will be able to start to truly compete with the speed and stability of the Mac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2002, 09:42 PM

Shiny Good

I go by my instinct, if it’s Bright and shiny I buy it

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 05:04 AM

I think OS installations on personal computers have a finite life. The newly installed OS gradually picks up detritus suuch as old files and bits of programmes which are kept at bay by defrag and registry pruning.
However eventually these barnacles build up and its time for a re-install or an upgrade. I used 98 for a long time but now have XP and 2K dual boot which seem happy with one another.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris h
I think OS installations on personal computers have a finite life. The newly installed OS gradually picks up detritus suuch as old files and bits of programmes which are kept at bay by defrag and registry pruning.
However eventually these barnacles build up and its time for a re-install or an upgrade. I used 98 for a long time but now have XP and 2K dual boot which seem happy with one another.
You are half way right but it works both ways. It's not just a build up of old files and bits of programs but it's also the loss of bits of the OS program files that causes the real damage to Windows OS.

Active-X, Java, and shared .dll's cause the most damage to Windows OS, even if you use a utility like Norton and let Norton choose what it considers the best fix solutions, Norton will in fact slowly chip away at the OS system and registry files.

Shared .dll files should never be removed even though the program that they came with is no longer on the computer. Some .dll's are custom made for a particular program and are only used for that particular program but they attach themselves to OS .dll's. If you remove the shared .dll you could damage the OS .dll in the process causing operation and application problems with other programs and the OS.

Active-X, Java, and .dll's works kind of like macros in a sense. A macro is a recording of an operational control, a step by step process that can save time by performing a list of tasks commonly used to obtain a certian result or function, like the actions function in PhotoShop, actions are macros.

Plug-ins are more like active-X and Java, they are small programs that perform certain actions and tasks that are not common to the origianal program and they save programing space.

These macros are attached to the original programs coded instructions and can cause the original program to get confused due to changes in subroutines or program loops. You've heard of macro virus, if you use Word or Excel and set up a macro you will get a warrning that macros can contain viruses. In fact you yourself can write a macro virus when you write a macro into your Word or Excel pages and not even know about it until funny things start to happen.

One common macro virus is, you sit down to write an email or make a post on your favorite news group or fourm and when you start typing, the letters that you press are not the letters that appear on the screen, that is a macro virus.

Well I've blabbered long enough, can you tell I have no life other than in front of a computer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 11:17 AM

Hi all! Just switched to Win2000 2 wks ago. So far no prolems. Still chasing drivers though. Win 98 gave me good service but last 3 months or so lots of lock ups and crashes. It seem time to upgrade.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2002, 11:58 AM

Scott,

Ok on the .dll options and I've always thought retaining them during uninstall procedures the safer course. I'm very sparing with what I install these days the bulk of my files living on cdr's or tape.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software