RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Lightroom?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:17 AM

Lightroom?

Anybody here know some simple tasks with Lightroom, like making a picture go away (delete) after it has been imported? Who knows a good tutorial source on it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2015, 01:24 PM

Re: Lightroom?

In Library, X key marks images for delation, Option Delete key deletes them.
Best tutorials I’ve found are those by former LR evangelist George Jardine. Here’s a free taste of his style:http://mulita.com/blog/?p=1244
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM

what does it in Windows? Those look like Apple directions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 PM

X should do the same in Windows, Alt is used instead of Option.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM

After working on an image, what do you do to save the changes to the image? I need the precise command, so my work isn't lost. Thanks. Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphishooter View Post
After working on an image, what do you do to save the changes to the image? I need the precise command, so my work isn't lost.
There is no Save nor need for one in Lightroom it does this automatically.
You're just creating instructions, tiny text files (XMP). It can be saved within the catalog or as a sidecar file OR if you are working with DNG, within the DNG itself. For the people who have to share files, DNG is the way to go as you can send someone such a file with your edits and they don't need anything from the Catalog which could be huge. You could open that DNG in Adobe Camera Raw, if the two are on version parity, all the edits will be seen there. You can alter the settings, save (ACR does have a 'Done" button) then send back, import into LR and the new 'edits' would be seen there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Oh, Preferences for Catalog, good idea to have Auto Save XMP set to ON. LR will still save the changes to the catalog but this preference ensures the edits are also saved within the DNG or Sidecar file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Okay, thanks for the info. I am brand new to this software, and used to an older style of working with paint software, in which you saved the changes. All the other details are a bit over my head for now, but thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2015, 01:56 PM

As to the saving business, I am quite unclear as to the timing of the save. I have an image, with a designated folder and I do NOT see the saved image in the folder. I see the un-corrected image in there, but NOT the image I have made changes to. I was under the impression that Lightroom instantaneously saves the changed image into the designated folder. Ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphishooter View Post
As to the saving business, I am quite unclear as to the timing of the save. I have an image, with a designated folder and I do NOT see the saved image in the folder. I see the un-corrected image in there, but NOT the image I have made changes to. I was under the impression that Lightroom instantaneously saves the changed image into the designated folder. Ideas?
So what are you doing in LR that you expect to see a 'save'?
If you export an image, you have the option to save that back into the database (catalog) but that must be selected within the Export dialog settings.

If you're moving around Develop and cropping, moving sliders etc, that's all saved automatically.

IF you work on a rendered image (say a TIFF), the instructions are still being saved. BUT... you will not see this on the TIFF itself UNTIL you export a new iteration. This isn't like Photoshop where you apply an edit and save, you can then move to the Finder and see that TIFF has been affected. Because in LR it hasn't! You've built instructions with edits. If you want to burn them into the rendered image, you have to export that as a new file with those edits. The original is never touched.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software