RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

have u tried photoshop and lightroom under linux?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Question have u tried photoshop and lightroom under linux?

Hi
i have watched some video about photoshop cc and lightroom v5 running under linix ubuntu or mint

something i'm thinking to drop windows and use linux
the problem is that i bought cs5 normal , cs6 normal ,and now i got a subscription and i get cc , lightroom 5 and i will install v6

does/did somebody test these programs under linux?

do they run fast like under windows?
are they stable?

thanks
i will appreciate it alot
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2015, 06:45 PM

Re: have u tried photoshop and lightroom under lin

As I expected, the only way would be to use WINE. I don't recommend it. It could be buggy, and you would need to maintain a backup of your entire system. If something breaks on update, you would restore your entire system from that backup. You should try a different forum to see if anyone has gotten it to work with creative cloud. I would probably try unix.stackexchange or cgsociety. Both will have many Linux users. I run Debian, and I run it in a VM from OSX for specific things. I've never tried to get photoshop working in Linux.

On a side note, save yourself a few headaches and set up a package manager for your other installations. As for stability, WINE is not as stable as running the thing natively. It's just not, due to the sheer number of potential problems. It's just a way to load required libraries across operating systems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
As I expected, the only way would be to use WINE. I don't recommend it. It could be buggy, and you would need to maintain a backup of your entire system. If something breaks on update, you would restore your entire system from that backup. You should try a different forum to see if anyone has gotten it to work with creative cloud. I would probably try unix.stackexchange or cgsociety. Both will have many Linux users. I run Debian, and I run it in a VM from OSX for specific things. I've never tried to get photoshop working in Linux.

On a side note, save yourself a few headaches and set up a package manager for your other installations. As for stability, WINE is not as stable as running the thing natively. It's just not, due to the sheer number of potential problems. It's just a way to load required libraries across operating systems.
thanks
i watched many video how they run under linux but i wanted to ask some feedebacks
appreciate it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra View Post
thanks
i watched many video how they run under linux but i wanted to ask some feedebacks
appreciate it
There aren't many Linux users on here though. I only run it as a VM. I doubt there is even one that runs photoshop in Linux. You need to find a really Linux heavy forum, as it's extremely atypical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
There aren't many Linux users on here though. I only run it as a VM. I doubt there is even one that runs photoshop in Linux. You need to find a really Linux heavy forum, as it's extremely atypical.
look _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIbQ2XMxy4
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Janitor

In that video he's using WINE. You can also see he gets an error message saying that graphics acceleration will be disabled.

If you must use Linux, just go with GIMP and darktable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra View Post
look _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIbQ2XMxy4
Yeah Wine. I mentioned Wine. I also said it was extremely atypical, not impossible. Then I told you that the forum doesn't have many Linux users. Out of the few possibly Linux users on here aside from myself, the chance that any of them use photoshop under Linux is even slimmer. You might have a better chance at real feedback if you try a forum that is primarily composed of Linux users. Of course most of them hate Adobe. Visual effects tends to be Linux heavy, but they still would run photoshop under Windows or OSX.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software