RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Software (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/)
-   -   List of GPU Accelerated Photography Software (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/38512-list-gpu-accelerated-photography-software.html)

Doug Nelson 05-08-2015 03:28 AM

List of GPU Accelerated Photography Software

The comprehensive list of GPU accelerated software of interest to photographers, retouchers, and other image artists.

You can contribute to building and maintaining this list by posting information and links below. I'll continue to update as you provide more information.

The list as of May 2015 (assumes current version as of date):

Adobe Photoshop - image editor (select parts of a few filters only, plus some UI)
Adobe Lightroom - Raw converter (Develop module only)
AfterShot Pro - Raw converter
Capture One - Raw converter
Cinema 4D - 3D renderer
darktable - open source raw editor
DxO OpticsPro - Raw converter
GIMP - open source image editor
LuxRender - Plugin renderer for 3D apps (not Photoshop, but includes Poser)
MATLAB - Mathematics software with some imaging uses
Neat Image - Plugin and standalone noise filter
On1 Perfect Photo Suite - Standalone and plugin filters for Photoshop and Lightroom
V-Ray - Plugin renderer for various 3D apps (not Photoshop)
WinZip - File compression

Doug Nelson 05-08-2015 04:53 PM

re: List of GPU Accelerated Photography Software

Can anyone help with the Nik Collection? I see misc. mentions that it is GPU accelerated when I google it, but there's nothing to explicitly confirm that on their site.

Doug Nelson 05-09-2015 02:49 AM

In case anyone is puzzled about why I particularly care about GPU acceleration, here's one very limited example, but it drives home the point. If you find more examples, post them and I'll expand this list as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x7llTIWXc

Doug Nelson 05-10-2015 05:36 PM

I've started listing the limitations that I know of, as well. Let me know if you have links to info for any of the other items on the list. Or conversely, if you have a link showing there are no limitations.

alreese83 05-27-2017 10:44 AM

Re: List of GPU Accelerated Photography Software

Does the Image Processing Toolbox come pre-bundled in MATLAB or is it an extra download / ($)?

klev 05-27-2017 04:56 PM

Mathworks charges for most things, but this forum has very few matlab users. Since you asked this question, I suspect you haven't looked at the price of matlab. If you're capable of using matlab, you're also capable of using python. Just use skimage. It's free. Matlab costs more than $2k without most of the toolboxes.

alreese83 05-27-2017 10:57 PM

Yeah, I know about the hefty price but there is always the trial version, and... there's always always a "torrent version". Besides, I just want to experiment with it, food for thought, expand my knowledge of image processing beyond Photoshop​. Thanks for the recommendation, will check out skimage. Also, could Quartz Composer be added to the list?

klev 05-28-2017 05:17 AM

Quartz Composer isn't aimed at the same sort of thing. It's used in developing software. I personally prefer python over matlab. It indexes from 0 rather than 1, which often allows for cleaner syntax.

It's not worth torrenting software when the open source version is just as good. Python has been expanding to a great degree, even in highly corporate environments that run Windows (the least python friendly OS of them all). You need to do some basic programming either way, as neither involves pressing buttons on a screen. Python tends to take less memory.