RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Free Plug-In Filters: Custom Filter & Adaptive Equalization

Old 11-01-2002, 01:48 PM

It was more than nice of Chris to share all this expertise with us. Now that we know the secrets, isn't he afraid we'll become competitors? Hmmm...let's see...I think I'll call my company muledeer graphics.

Jus' teasin'...

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Muledeer Graphics
Sure, why not. Then we'll change our name to Nuclear Graphics and go fission all over ya!

I am trying to lead you down the golden path. I will attempt to explain high-pass filters without going the Fourier mathematics route. Then, I guess, we could go to fractal textures... Hmmm.

Before then, I think we'll go into edge detectors. I wanted to show one called a "Frei and Chen" which is very good at finding faint lines, but rejecting noise. If this were used to create a selection mask on the image, I imagine we could do a rather impressive job. (First, let me try a few things on my computer before unleashing it on you.)

The other constraint is that I want a way for people to be able to try it themselves, and perhaps play around. We can't do an ordinary Sobel in an action because it really calls for taking the square root of the sum of the squares of two orthogonal derivatives. Yes, I have a plug-in that does it. Or, a Canny that will make the lines skinny afterwards.

(Some people in machine vision have a huge obsession with edges and regions of the image, and we might be able steal some of their ideas to make better automatic segmentation actions in another discussion.)

Finally, I'd like to introduce you all to a gentleman named David Marr who was a physiologist trying to figure out how the human visual system worked -- by tracing the neurons. Basically he was mapping out the wetware.

Image processing/image analysis is a collection of "Hacks that worked." (Call them heuristics if you like.)

Now that I've hinted at where we're going, this is your last chance to ask questions about where we've been.

-Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 06:38 AM

Stephen M asked a question about kernels that did nudging. There were two groups of them, one that did 1/3 of a pixel and another that did 1/2 a pixel.

The 1/3 pixel kernel looked like this:

0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 8 4 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 (scale = 12, offset = 0)

Except they did a little bit of sharpening at the same time, which I think detracts from the result and causes a tiny bit of a halo:

0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 -1 8 4 -1
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 (scale = 10, offset = 0)

Basically, the second one uses a small amount of a Laplacian (2nd-derivative) sharpening to compensate for the implicit blur in the kernel.

You could rotate the kernel to get blurs in the other 3 directions:

0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 4 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 8 0 0 - 0 4 8 0 0 - 0 0 8 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 4 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0 0 (scale = 12, offset = 0)

Do you understand why this works? Questions? Problems?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 03:08 AM

Chris - again you astound me...Thank you for deconvolving the third party convolution! <g>

While I am at it - if we are convolving...and there is a thing known as deconvolution which can be used for making a blurry image appear more infocus...just what/where does deconvolution fit into the scheme of things?

OK, let me see if I am following things correctly from your previous excellent tutorials.

These 'sub pixel motion' custom convolution kernels are a variant of what you described as a more basic 'echo' in an earlier post of yours. Correct?

Instead of a basic 00101 echo as you onced described, the current pixel being processed by this third party kernel will base the echo as a 8:4 in averaged brightness weighting. Correct?

The -1 sharpen value seems obvious now that you point it out. I had noticed it visually, but I did not know how it fit into the construction of the kernel. I agree that this is perhaps not best as a default, thanks to your excellent tip I may now make a version without sharpening as well as keeping the versions as is.

Have I been keeping up with things? Am I totally off base? Do I deserve a A or an F for my test results?

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2002, 07:35 AM

Smile Convolution presets in Gimp

Quote:
Originally posted by jcr6

The other constraint is that I want a way for people to be able to try it themselves, and perhaps play around. We can't do an ordinary Sobel in an action because it really calls for taking the square root of the sum of the squares of two orthogonal derivatives. Yes, I have a plug-in that does it. Or, a Canny that will make the lines skinny afterwards.

-Chris [/B]
It would be difficult if at all possible to do this in PS actions, but with the scriptable Gimp, it is easy to play with convolutions which are very powerful indeed. In case anyone is interested take a look at the script here http://gug.sunsite.dk/scripts.php
or more specifically the version 0.5 here http://gug.sunsite.dk/scripts/1005753014.scm

The scripting language used in Gimp is called Scheme, a subset of LISP language..

I have an example showing the powerful convolutions at work, here at http://www.geocities.com/lasm.rm/video.html

All the artistic, line-art, black-and-white photos you see are convolved from a custom Gimp script. I have never seen a comercial product which can do this kind of transformation
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2002, 07:55 AM

Quote:
artistic, line-art, black-and-white photos you see are convolved from a custom Gimp script
Not dissimilar from adding "Trace Edges" back to the original image. I suspect that we could do a fairly good approximation of your Gimp Script within Photoshop.

Actually, that would be a good challenge. Can we come up with ways to approximate various effects with actions, custom convolution, etc. Naturally, everything we come up with will be in the public domain, with commentary on how we did it and why.

Steve, what do you think?

-Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2002, 09:36 PM

Cool Edge Detection Gallery

Here's a showcase of Gimp's edge detection algorithms

http://www.pbase.com/lasm/edge_detect_in_gimp

Enjoy !
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2002, 08:26 PM

Action Tester Required

Hi Folks, I have been playing with custom convolution off and on and have put some of these kernels into a Photoshop 5.x or higher action set, things are a bit raw at this point - but close to being final (I hope).

This has been a great learning experience, which I have to thank Chris Russ for helping me along the way - as the consise and easy to follow explanations in this thread have helped me decipher some of the common but hard to follow examples that can be found on the web when looking for info on 'image processing via convolution'.

Before this action set grows any larger, I thought it might be wise to ask for some help in:

a) Checking the convolution kernels contained in the action, including kernel construction (coefficients, bias, scale & offset) and that it matches the action name and works as intended etc.

b) Testing the actions in multiple versions of Photoshop on Mac and PC.

This action set will be a free offering and credit will go those who helped test and evaluate the actions, or additions to the actions or whatever. I will also put together a PDF manual to accompany the action set, once all the little details are ironed out.

So, if you think that you have an 'intermediate' understanding of convolution (then you're one up on me <g>) and picking apart actions - please send me a 'PM'. I am testing on PC v5.x and v7, so a Mac based v6 user would be ideal - although I would really like to hear from anyone who has been following this convolution thread and would like to help verify the results gained so far.

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh.

Last edited by Stephen M; 01-06-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 10:21 PM

Custom Convolution Action Set Preview

As I have not had any response to these new posts, I presume that this post will either scare people away or spark their imagination...

Attached is a GIF image preview of the custom convolution actions in the set.

Stephen Marsh.
Attached Images
File Type: gif convolution_actionsetpreview.gif (26.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Stephen M; 01-12-2003 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2003, 12:44 AM

Hello Steven,
I can give you a hand(if you want). It's the least I can do for you. I use them for noise reduction(in the a,b channels of L*A*B) in actions and for sharpening purposes,actions also. I can test on a pc for v.5,5.5,6. On the mac I can't do this because I don't have acess to it at times(at work shooting).
I just got done a skin smoothing action which I wanted to do for a while(based on Dan Margulis'). But taken it a little further than the last one I posted.

John Opitz
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software