Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Review: Optipix

Old 10-25-2002, 08:06 PM
1/2 & 1/3 Pixel Nudge Custom Convolution

An update - I lamented that I had lost the 'sub pixel motion' convolution kernels that were from a defunct website...but with a very extended search and quite a bit of luck - I have found what seems to be an online 'archive' of the site, even though it is no longer running (or appears to be no longer running).

Anyway - the links still work (for now) and you can download the custom convolution kernels here:

With the recent EXCELLENT posts from Chris Russ on custom convolution (see link below) and his great free custom 'custom' convolution filter I will shortly experiment with these kernels with more understanding than in the past (thanks Chris), I just wanted to share the links first!

Looks like I'm turning into a convolution geek - when I am a diehard GUI person. <g>

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Quick Test Results of Sub Pixel Motion Convolution:

Rasterized EPS font, 3pt black Times text and also inverted (very small fine serifs) -

Did a offset filter of 1 pix and a 50% opacity fade and compared it to the custom filter convolution kernel for 1/2 pixel...

The custom convolution method is the winner - sharper serifs and fine detail (which the fade command with the offset filter blurs slightly more), although printing may not show the is probably a big deal though when stitching or aligning images, which is probably where Chris is coming from with his third party nudge filter in the Optipix plug-in package.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software