RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Reloading Windows (or other OS)

View Poll Results: How often do you reload your OS
Every 5 - 6 months 4 9.09%
Once a year 10 22.73%
Other (specify) 7 15.91%
Never 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2002, 08:19 PM

I reload every 6 months, but that is due to me trying lots of software and hardware configurations. I'm hoping that my system is now fairly stable (as I've run out of money fror new bits and therefore I'll not load as often.

I've also found Windows XP seems to clean up after itself better than most. I used to have all my programs on a D drive with only the operating system on C and it worked fine, until the D died. Another trick is to create a single partition (say E) in which to put your Windows swap space AND nothing else. Make it the maximum and then some. In this way the windows swap file can never fragment - which slows things down immensely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 11:05 PM

I just bit the bullet and installed XP on my computer. I'm not sure how I like it yet but at least I have my internet connection working
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 01:18 AM

well at least I'm sure you'll appreciate the stability of it. a couple tips for XP: If you don't like the default XP theme (I don't) you can switch to the classic style by right clicking the desktop selecting the "Appearance" tab then select "Windows Classic style" from the drop down list. to get better performance, you can get rid of the eye candy effects (things like "mouse shadow" etc.) go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance> Adjust visual effects then you can get rid of the things you don't want (to try it out select or deselect an item and click Apply, its faster to change back than if you hit OK. also when you're in the "Adjust visual effects "(Performance Options) window, click on the advanced tab. in the Virtual memory area click "Change". then you can adjust your pagefile (virtual memory) settings. it works best if you set initial size and maximum size to the same thing. also, the best setting to have is twice the amount of ram you have (256MB ram = 512MB pagefile). One of the first things I'd suggest you do since you've got your internet connection going ( ) is install and run your firewall, and download WinXP Service Pack 1, so you have all the security updates (note: its about a 100 MB download!! ) you can get that from http://download.microsoft.com

hope it's still going well for you!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 10:56 AM

Never. I've had mine for about a year or so now running XP and as long as everything works ok and I don't crash alot my philosophy is "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 02:02 AM

XP is winning me over, today I finally got the sound working again so that mekes me happy. and I'm reinstalling only the important stuff but so far no crashes so that has to be a bonus. thanks David for your advice all advice is appreciated.

Sandra
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2002, 02:12 AM

no problem Sandra, glad to hear it's working out well.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2002, 09:52 PM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
Just had to reinstall because of a fatal lock-up on a new HP. The OS is stored on the HD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Reloading the OS?

Is this a Windows thing? I've rarely ever had to reload any Mac OS. Since 1992 I think I've reinstalled a clean OS maybe 6 times.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 10:35 PM

I've never reinstalled the OS on my Mac either. I have updated the OS and that is pretty painless since on the Mac an "Archive Install" leaves all your files and settings in place.

We just got a new G4 Powerbook for the print shop (used for invoicing and sending/receiving faxes) and bookkeeping (Quicken). We used Apple's "Migration Assistant" with a Firewire connection between the old and new computer and the Assistant copied all applications, data, network settings, email, bookmarks etc. over to the new laptop. Rebooted and we were right where we left off on the old computer. Couldn't have been easier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 PM

Yep!

Gotta love 'em!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software