Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Reloading Windows (or other OS)

View Poll Results: How often do you reload your OS
Every 5 - 6 months 4 9.09%
Once a year 10 22.73%
Other (specify) 7 15.91%
Never 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Can't see any reason for re-installing the OS as a routine maintenance procedure. In fact most people who write troubleshooting manuals for PC's recommend this as a last resort when a problem occurs.

Before moving to XP I upgraded my OS from Windows 98 to Windows 98 SE, and just this rather limited upgrade caused all kinds of foul-ups to various programs that I was using.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Never had the need to reload my OS, other than when making a dramatic hardware update.
Here is a tip for clearing out junk files:
How to delete unnecessary temporary files and create a shortcut to do it again
These instructions are for deleting the temporary files created when certain programs are run or installed. (Windows is SUPPOSED to do this automatically but it often misses LOTS and these files, if left behind, can cause lots of problems with your computer.)

These instructions will NOT delete temporary Internet files*****

NOTE: Many people will tell you that all you need to do is open your Windows Temp folder and delete everything in there because that's where all temp files are stored. This is NOT true. That's where all programs are SUPPOSED to store their temp files but many don't. You can delete temp files that way, but I promise you that you won't get them all. To test this, go ahead and delete all the files in your Windows Temp folder, then try my method and see how many more you find.

Once you've done this one time, use the instructions at the end to create the shortcut so you can do it again without these instructions.

First, close ALL open programs.

Click on your start button, then go to Find, then Files or Folders (In Windows XP, go to Start, then Search) this dialog box, make sure where it says "look in", that it is looking at your C: drive (or, if you have multiple hard drives or partitions, be sure "All Local Drives" is selected) and be sure there is a check in the box next to where it says "include subfolders" (this is in "More Advanced Options" in XP).....Now, click your mouse pointer in the box that says "named"
(in XP, it says "All or part of the file name") and type the following, exactly as it is here.

That's asterisk period t m p comma asterisk period c h k comma tilde asterisk period asterisk .....with no spaces.

(The "tilde" is the little squiggle above the Tab key on the left end of your keyboard.....DO NOT FORGET THE TILDE as ~*.* will find all files which begin with ~, but *.* without the tilde would find all files on the drive.....and you DON'T want to do that!!) To be sure you've got it right, just highlight this

---> *.tmp,*.chk,~*.* <--- copy it and paste it in that box.

Once it finds all the files, it will list them and at the bottom it will tell you how many it found

Hit ctrl+a to select them all, then hit your delete key....If it won't delete some of them, that's because they are attached to some program running in the background, so you may have to delete them one at a time. If one or two won't delete, they will probably delete when you reboot next, so don't worry about them. NOTE: Windows XP tends to hang onto temp files more than the earlier versions, so you may run into more that you can't delete. If so, just note the name of the file Windows won't delete and find it in the list, then hit ctrl+a to select them all again, but hold down your control key and click on the one Windows won't delete. This will select all but that one. Try deleting them again. If XP finds another it won't delete, repeat this same process. If this won't work for you, try deleting them in Safe Mode (or go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk Cleanup and use the Windows utility to delete them, however this won't find any that are not in your Windows Temp folder) . Bottom line is these files will be deleted by Windows when you reboot, but then will be recreated again and that's a necessary evil.

All of these files and folders (yes, ALL of them) are safe to delete and removing them can solve some crazy problems you may be having. However, if you are concerned about this, leave the files you deleted in your recycle bin for a few days until you are sure all is working properly. This way, you can restore the files from the recycle bin if you have a problem...or, as is *always* the case when I do this, just permanently delete the files from the recyle bin once you are sure all is well.

Once they are all deleted, you can save this process as an Icon on your desktop so you can repeat it with one click.

Still inside the Find/Search dialog box, go to the File menu and click on "Save Search"......this will put an icon on your desktop that you can click on any time you want to delete temps again!

DISCLAIMER and WARNING: I do it on my own computers all the time. However, if you are afraid to do this, just leave the files in your Recycle Bin for a few days until you are sure everything is ok, then you can empty your Recycle Bin. Or, if you are REALLY afraid to delete them, just delete them one at a time and reboot your computer between each delete so you can see that everything still works fine. However, most people find a LOT of them, when they use my method, so this could take you all day
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2006, 03:34 AM
Only as a last resort.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Reload OS? No need with a Mac. My only experience is with the various flavors of OS X, however.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2006, 10:38 PM
My Dad's machine (using it now) came with Win2K. Until I crashed it about a year ago (Win2K since 2001; my fault, not Win2K for the crash; I push the envelope; lol), it never had a problem. Decided to upgrade to XP Pro (over $180 for the priviledge), and it's never given me a problem. Short of Virus Infections, or Registry playing (yes, I like to play), the Win2K/XP systems will be quite stable and should never have to require reinstallation (but I do this for a living and can say I've had to re-install a lot of client PC's with XP; still don't believe it's XP's fault directly). Surprising, you can repair XP using the command consul and run CHKDSK /R (have to boot from CD if you don't have XP Terminal software installed; I do, so I can boot to a true NTFS DOS shell) for a lot of issues. Can also try this technique (that Fred Langa recently posted; I get his news letters) too (can be used to repair "Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," or "Windows could not start..."):

• Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
• Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
• Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
• Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
• Run Fixboot

Finally, before just doing a plain re-install, you can just go through the Full Repair process by booting from your XP CD and then click the first option (you're not going to install XP, but you will think that you are by this option; stupid wording on Uncle Bill's fault) and then click "R" to repair the install. You will still need to unfortunately register Windows again (which may require a phone call to a dude or madam from India; lol) with Microsoft and get your updates. If you slipstreamed (I never do), you don't have to get updates, but who really ever keeps up with this anyway.

Last edited by lkroll; 09-18-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Lurch, I've been using a Mac since 1986 and have been around the block with Mac OS since forever (remember Font DA Mover???). Love my Mac, and love the Apple OS.

I push the envelope with my G5 Tower running all the Adobe CS applications (including maintaing web sites with GoLive), teleconferencing, iTunes/iPod, Freehand, a couple games, FileMaker Pro and Quicken for business applications, Mail, Safari, and other applications. I do run the maintenance scripts, Onyx, Disk Utility, and Repair Permissions plus a good backup utility and my computer is up and running 16-18 hours a day.

A couple months ago, my computer started crashing with kernal panics six or seven times a day. Nothing I could put my finger on. Just boom, gray screen and the gibberish crash screen. I doubt that it was anything like a virus or worm, but more likely an issue with a new font manager I had installed or updated. Macs are very particular about fonts and some programs (Calendar, Safari, Mail etc.) won't even launch if certain fonts are not installed.

As a result of the crashes, I did a complete clean install and used the opportunity to upgrade from Panther OSX 10.3.9 to Tiger OSX 10.4.7. The only things I ported from my previous system were Network settings and Mail. I reinstalled all applications fresh and clean and copied over documents only from a current backup. It was the first time in 20 years that I have ever built a new "system" and it was tedious. (I'd always taken the "Archive and Install" route.

Other than when I buy a new computer, I've never "built" a new working boot partition. Of course now with Migration Assistant, even that is a breeze. But for all that, I've only had one major problem that called for a reinstall, in over 20 years says to me that Mac OS, in all its interations, is a superior OS to anything Microsoft has ever foisted off on the public.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Well I screwed up again.

I was in the process of re-integrating all of the updates to by XPCD directory (slipstream purposes) and I screwed up the procedure and ended up doing an in place upgrade (basically an OS repair). 2 hours and a huge number of security updates later (at least .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 didn't have to be reinstalled), I'm back.

Like I told you all before, I like to play and sometimes I loose. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 AM

When you compare Mac OS's with any of the Windows OS's, you are comparing two totally seperate concepts.

With Apple, applications are specifically written to run on the OS.

Whereas Windows was designed to allow almost anything to run on it.

There are of course advantages and disadvantages to each approach.

The advantage of the Mac approach is that you have a simple easy to control system which is relatively stable and easy to secure, the disadvantage is that fewer applications will run on it, and it and its SW are generally more expensive.

With Windows, the advantages of a "one size fits all" policy is that there are more applications that will run without modification, SW for it will generally be cheaper to develop, thus users are more likely to buy it (and from the number of sales of Windows over Mac, it can be seen that this has been a successful business strategy).

The downside of this is that Windows is a nightmare to keep secure. You cannot design a system to be open to all SW, and at the same time make it closed to Malicious SW, and the continuing deluge of infections that Windows systems are bombarded with is testament to this.

So provided you don't want all the latest bells and whistles, or the latest "cutting edge" software developments, and you don't mind paying extra for the stability that comes from a "closed" system, then Mac is the best buy. But its never going to make the money for Apple that Windows did (and does) for M$.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software