RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

New Computer W/xp Problems

Old 11-01-2002, 06:06 PM

Gregory,

I just found that Adobe has a Knowledge Base as well. The following two links don't address your problem directly, but you might want to try some of the suggestions.

Troubleshooting System Errors and Freezes in Photoshop Elements for Windows

Troubleshooting System Errors and Freezes in Photoshop Elements for Windows, Part Two

I'd look for other references, but I'm getting an error on the site at this very moment. In any case, you might want to check out that resource.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2002, 08:56 PM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
This has got to be the greatest bunch of people on the web. Thank all of you so very much for your suggestions!!

Before installing any of my software, I went online and got all the reccomended Windows updates. ( well, not quite all: one of the service packs advised me it would take about a gillion minutes to download, so I skipped that one for now. It was specific to HP Recovery Program.)

I installed PS first and the problem was there to begin with. Later, I installed System Works Pro 2002 to see if it could fix the problem. No such luck...

By now, I have uninstalled and re-installed everything but still no good w/PS.

The only updates at Adobe for Elements were some plug-ins for the P4 processor.

I just got in from a long trip and came to this site first...Will go to the suggested links now to look for aid.

I have also discovered that my layers pallette wont stay open and is unmovable. I set all my preferences up like I had them in Windows ME, where I never had any problems w/PS/Norton. I'm no Rocket Scientest on computers and if it wasn't for Norton System Works, my computer would have been laid to rest long ago. (I have 8 and 10 year old children who think they are rocket scientest w/computers. They now have my older model to gum up)

Gottqa go check those links..Gotta have my PS FIX soon!!

Gregory

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2002, 09:49 PM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
30 minutes after my last post: I went to the Adobe site for Elements Troubleshooting part 1 and read thru it.

I decided to close all programs running in the backgroung AND reset the Preferences List by starting Elements and pushing CONTROL-ALT-DELETE. As I did this, I got the the DREADED BLUE SCREEN, but only for an instant.

The prompt that Adobe mentions; reset preferences list?, did not appear, but the program loaded as usual.

The first thing I noticed was that my Layers Pallette was open and movable. I then tried adding a text layer and now have control of the fonts. Next, I clicked the Print command and went thru my usual setup. EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECT!!!

Only one glitch so far: when you cancel the Print command, the open images get that psychedelic look..BUT, as soon as you click the mouse, they return to normal. This I can live with. So, whats gonna happen when I restart the computer? Not a thing! Elements loaded without closing any background programs and everything STILL WORKED PERFECT!!!

Mind you, I have not made any changes to anything: just did the steps above and got good results. Now I'm gonna go install Norton and see what happens. Aren't these machines CRAZY??

Gregory
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 02:53 AM

Trouble with your computer?

Quote:
Originally posted by gblount
Now I'm gonna go install Norton and see what happens. Aren't these machines CRAZY??
[/B]
They're not crazy, they're just not Macs. I guess Windows users are so used to the Gates OS that they just keep buying PCs out of habit. Too bad, cuz once you try a Mac, you never go back.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 06:23 AM

Gregory,

Sounds like you've fixed the worst of the problems. I'm glad those links helped! Hope Systemworks loaded OK for you and that everything is working smoothly!!

BTW, you will probably want to download that HP Recovery Program update at some point fairly soon. Don't want to scare you, but you might want to read this article about the problems with the HP Recovery Program.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the link on the HP Recovery. After I finished installing everything last night, I downloaded the service pak from MS. It took about 3 1/2 hrs.

This morning after all was said and done, I started elements to see if it was still ok. NOPE!

Everything is working: fonts, menues, etc, but now when I open a picture, the background has the woven texture like the paper I last restored a photo on. I had clicked the color picker on this paper to get a matching background fill. This just wont work.

So, here I set again today trying to figure this out. It is not in the image files, because when I open the images in Photoimpact, the pictures are in good condition.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 12:40 PM

Sorry to hear things are still not working.

Have you tried the update from Norton yet. If it is replacing a file then that could be the source of all your problems.

On your reinstal what did you instal from Norton.

I hope you find your answers soon.

I would keep checking the web sites of the software you are using. If they have an online chat facility it might be worth your while to go through and talk to someone at the company to see if they have any other sugestions.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 12:46 PM

As to Norton: Anti-virus, Cleensweep and the find and fix problems package; Windoc, Speed disk.

About this HP Recovery : I assume that if I run the recovery program, this will re-install Windows XP and start out with a clean HD. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 12:52 PM

Clean sweep is the program that causes a file to be over writen so that might be where the problem lies.

After doing the updates on the link I gave you earlier, you might then have to re-instal Photoshop elements so it uses the file it want not the file Norton wants.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2002, 02:07 PM

OK.. I'll give that a try...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software