RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

New Computer W/xp Problems

Old 10-31-2002, 02:34 PM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
New Computer W/xp Problems

I just purchased a new HP comp running Windows XP. After loading my software including PS Elements and Norton System Works, Elements is just not working properly.

So far I have found that when cropping, the crop lines jump large spaces during adjustment, when I click the print command, my photos turn into "60's psychadelic images" , I cannot control font size or color. I don't know what else I will run into.

I have uninstalled and re-installed several times trying different combos w/wo/Norton and nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions??? Gregory

OH YEAH: I have been running Windows ME and Celeron. Moved up to P4.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 06:35 PM

First of all Welcome to RetouchPRO

You probably Have - but - Have you checked for updates to both programs on there web sites?

There might be known conflicts there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 09:23 PM

Hi Gregory,
Welcome to Retouch Pro. I agree with Clare. When I installed XP I went to all the websites of the software I planned to install just to see if there were any updates for XP. For situations where you can't get an update then XP offers a compatibility wizard so you can install the program in the version it best works with such as 95, 98, 2000 etc. So far I've had no problems with XP and installing things that were only listed for earlier Windows versions but I know of others who say they have. Also, since you just got it you should be able to get help from support as well. They get these type questions all the time and usually have a good answer. Good luck and if you do finally reslove things please let us know for future members who may have the same trouble.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2002, 09:35 PM

Gregory, This almost sounds like a video card issue. Definitely look to see if there is an updated driver. Go to the manufacturer's website (assuming the video is a separate card and not on the motherboard). Otherwise, contact HP support. Since you just got it, you should have some sort of (at least short-term) support. Probably online support.

The other thing to do is check the Microsoft Knowledge Base and see if there is anything in there about Elements and XP.

Good luck! I know how it is trying to figure out quirks in the system. I feel like I've spent the last 6 weeks doing just that!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 01:10 AM

norton conflict

I have no computer knowledge but I have been told by many when experiencing program problems, especially with adobe products, to not have norton on the computer.
My new computer came with it and xp and when I took it off, no problems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 02:07 AM

Hmmm - good point platscha. In addition, I've been told that even when you uninstall SystemWorks, it still leaves some stuff in the registry. Gregory - you might want to try running a registry cleaning program to find what SystemWorks has left in there. That way you can be sure it's gone. Or (and I REALLY hate to say this!!), try reinstalling from scratch to make sure you've got a clean system. (Might not be a bad idea anyway, b/c HP adds a lot of stuff/junk to their systems - most of which I never use.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 08:41 AM

I have norton virus checker and have had norton utilities both on XP with PS and have never run into any problems / conflicts. It may be a conflict as jeaniesa mentioned with your graphics card or something else.

If you know exactly what each of the items of hardware are in your computer then I would check for updates to everything - including modems as they can be the source of errors. Just because you bought your computer whole and running does not mean they have used the correct drivers. XP comes with loads of its own drivers built in - but sometimes these are not the best drivers for the hardware.

It might also the version of Norton that your running - if it is slightly older version it might not be compatiable with XP or something in your computer.

I hope you have luck in sorting your system out.
Clare

Last edited by clare; 11-01-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 10:32 AM

Clare, they way I understand it is that Norton Anti-Virus and Utilities as separate programs are not the issue. It's the SystemWorks bundle that causes problems for some people. (Probably not all people, or they wouldn't be able to continue selling it.) Of course, I could be mistaken.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 10:55 AM

Doh!

I thought they were all part of the same kind of thing!!!

I just looked it up on the web - Norton system works contains Norton Anti Virus, Utilities, Clean sweep and GoBack personal edition.

I am normally very selective when installing these programs so maybe the issues are with the bits I haven't installed. I tend to just go for the disk defrag and Optimization wizard and the virus scanner - ( which I would not live without - I keep getting virus's sent to the email address on my web site!!!)

Sorry for any confusion caused

While I was on the site I thought I would do a quick search heres what I found -

Adobe Photoshop Fails with Cleansweep Deluxe Monitors Active

Situation:
Adobe Photoshop fails to run with CleanSweep Deluxe Usage Monitor and Install Monitor active. Adobe Photoshop reports module errors on startup after CleanSweep Deluxe is installed.

Solution:
Both CleanSweep and Photoshop use a .DLL file called PLUGIN.DLL. The CleanSweep installation can overwrite the Photoshop version of the file, thereby causing the error.

To correct this problem, update to CleanSweep Deluxe 3.08. If you have version 3.06, update to version 3.07 first, then to version 3.08.
These patches are available at
Sorry the url didn't work - go to http://www.symantec.com/search/
and type in
Photoshop elements and norton system works

The first one in the list goes to the page I found above

Hope this helps
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2002, 06:00 PM

Clare, Over in my hard drive problem thread, Randy mentioned that:

Systemworks sneaks into all areas of your system and even though you may not actually be running a certain facet of the program, it is running and scanning information for you in the background.

The only way to avoid this is to do a clean install, then install the retail version of Anti-Virus (do not do a custom install from systemworks and only select anti-virus to install).

Even in a custom install, you still get the primary systemworks components installed "just in case" you decide to add additional components or diagnostics at a later time.

So, I ended up purchasing just Norton Anti-virus and installing that. If I decide I need Norton Utilities, I'll buy that separately too. I've just had too many problems over the last few months to introduce "possible problems" that some (but not all) others have found the hard way. I'm tired of fighting with my system. (Yes, I admit, it's winning. )

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software