RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

photoshop gone weird

Old 11-20-2002, 05:05 PM

photoshop gone weird

uuughhhh. Photoshop has suddenly decided to play silly buggers. Every tool is now an eraser. I've tried resetting the tools but still photoshop makes every tool an eraser. Does anybody know of a way to fix it without reinstalling, I don't like the thought of getting all those plugins again
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2002, 05:41 PM

Sorry Sandra, I've never heard of this before. Did you check the Adobe knowledge base for Photoshop?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2002, 05:43 PM

You might want to delete your Preferences file when you are "not" running photoshop. Photoshop should generate a new prefs file when it starts and you can put in your proper settings.
It's my understanding there are times when this file can become corrupted.

I have Photoshop 7, using XP as the operating system. The file is located in your Documents and Settings, under "your name", then to \application data\adobe\photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop 7.0 settings. There you will find your prefs.psp file (Photoshop preferences). This is probably your problem.

I'm not sure what operating system you are using but if it's XP, just follow the above. In earlier versions of windows I believe the file is found in the windows folder, then go to the system folder (prefs.psp)

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2002, 05:50 PM

Sanda, also check to see if your caps lock light is on. This usually only changes every tool to crosshairs instead of circles or tools, but hey, you never know.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2002, 06:02 PM

(I see we all started answering you at the same time )

If you want to read about deleting your preferences file -- read this for some help:

Trashing preferences file
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 12:01 AM

Thanks everybody. But I can't find the pref file anywhere. I've even done a file search for it I thin I'm going to have to reinstall. I'll just have to save all my actions and plugins and reinstall

Correction: I found the pref file and deleted it but I still have the same problem.

Last edited by Sanda; 11-21-2002 at 12:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 12:27 AM

Sanda, sorry to hear that the pref file delete did not work, that was going to be my suggestion too.

For what it is worth - in v6 or higher you can hold down the command/ctrl & opt/alt & shift keys directly after you launch Photoshop...if you do this right then a dialoge will be presented asking you to trash the preference file. If you do not see this message and accept the prompt, then the pref file has not been trashed.

This saves having to hunt over the hard drive for the pref file.

It is then a good idea to go into prefs (cmd/ctrl k) and reset everything to how you like it (rather than the defaults).

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 03:20 AM

Well I did a complete install of photshop and I still have the same problem. Now I think it must be somtthing to do winth windows XP. I'm not sure if I sure reinstall the operating system now
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 04:09 AM

Sanda,

If you use a tablet, it could be a malfunction there. The only time I have had that problem is when I am sitting here with my pen upside down trying to draw with the eraser. Not that thats what you are doing but the tools in the tablet might be malfunctioning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2002, 01:26 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great info on the Prefs file. I'm having problems too Sanda but no the same ones you're having. Just random wierd stuff. I was searching for that prefs file yesterday to trash it and couldn't find it so this thread was a real time saver. Who'd have figured it would've been stashed there? I even did a search for it and got nothing but I did locate it with your help and Stephen, I'm going to give that control, alt, shift a try on launch. Thanks again.
Good luck Sanda and let us know how things go.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software