RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Problems with NTFS

Old 12-09-2002, 12:10 PM

Well Kevin, I have to say I wish this discussion had taken place a month ago! (Before I spent tons of money on a new computer! I thought that perhaps my newer peripherals with the older motherboard was causing some sort of conflict that I couldn't find.) I just partitioned and reformatted (with NTFS except for one 5G partition) both of my hard drives when I installed XP. I've had the system running for about two weeks now with no problem, but I haven't stressed it (with 10-12 hours of scanning/photoshopping) that caused the problems with my last W2K system. If the problem shows up again though, I'll be seriously considering reformatting the problem partitions with FAT32!

Strangely enough, when I presented my problem to the Experts Exchange, no one even so much at hinted that the problem was NTFS. You're the first person to suggest that to me - and I'm extremely grateful! Not that I wish problems on anyone else, but it's nice to know I'm not alone in this experience!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 05:00 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by d_kendal

Kevin - I did a bit of reading, and the only issue you should run into by using FAT32 on your 80 gig drive is that you're partitions can't be any bigger than 32 GBs. here's come good info.

- David
Am I missing something here? I have a 60 gig hard drive with a small partition, and another at 52.3 GB. It's FAT32.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 05:27 PM

Hi Greg, I certainly hope that there isn't anything new from Microsoft for a while. I am sick and tired of them comming out with new versions of Windows when they always fail to debug the current version. I know it is more profitable to work on and release new versions than to spend the programming time debugging the current version. They need to give us a break and fix what they have!

David, I wish I had the time to upgrade my Linux box. I just have too much going on right now. I was forced to upgrade to Mandrake 8 after my Redhat 6 server was hacked and taken down. I really need the extra insurance that the new kernal offers. I just don't have the time with all I am trying to do with restoration.

I am going to get Partition magic 8.0 and see what it will allow me to do. They seem to have some utilities that help with protecting NTFS partitions. I will just have to make that decission when I get to that point. I really don't want a bunch of smaller partitions. If I can impliment a dependable backup system that I wont forget to run whenever I need to run it, I may just take my chances on NTFS again. Thanks for the info on the partition size, I was aware of it but hoped that Partition Magic had found a way around it. From what I have read apparently they haven't.

Jeanie, I had hoped that Microsoft would fix NTFS with their implimentation of XP. It doesn't look as though they even tried. All I can say is do regular backups and that should include some method of doing a partition backup using Powerquest Drive image or Ghost or something like that. Do seperate backups of all your important data using a different method. I mirror all my digital images to another hard drive drive and to CDROM.

I'm like you I haven't heard very many people talk about the problems with NTFS, I wish I knew why. I was led to believe that this was a bullet proof file system because of the redundant directory table backups it does. I just fixed another NT 4.0 machine this afternoon. It just all of the sudden started booting to a file missing/coruption error and a physical memory core dump. Absolutely dead in the water, it worked one minute and then boom, it was gone. Nothing wrong with the hardware, restored an image backup and it was back like it was. NTFS isn't supposed to allow this to happen.

I'll give everyone a word of advice about XP. Don't fall into the temptation of letting XP display your directories full of digital images as thumbnails, expecially if there are several hundred of them in one directory. That is where I have had the most problems on my XP box. The first 2 problems I had were because of this. Some reason the thumbs index file will get trashed and you will lose access to the directory completely! Believe me this has happened to me twice. Every time explorer tried to display the broken directory it would crash, and so would Photoshop. The only way I could salvage my files was to go to a system prompt and copy all the files to a new directory and delete the old directory. I also had this problem when I was running Win2000.

Guess I'll get off my soap box now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 05:38 PM

ED - If I am reading the info in David's link correctly (thanks D!) the 32GB only applies to Win2000 pro and XP pro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 05:54 PM

I think that partitions larger than 32 Gig are possible if they are created and formated using Win98. If I read it right XP & 2000 cannot format partitions larger than 32 Gig. I don't know this for sure as I haven't tried it myself but I am going to try it on my new system. I hope it works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 06:33 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
ED - If I am reading the info in David's link correctly (thanks D!) the 32GB only applies to Win2000 pro and XP pro.
Oh! I guess that makes a difference! For what it's worth, the partition was done with Partition Magic. My son-in-law set it up. That's beyond my level of expertise, but then, most things are.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2002, 03:42 AM

I definitely with what you were saying about windows versions. they've done some nice improvements in XP (especially stability wise) and if they keep debugging it, I think within the next couple service packs, they could finally be closer to a bug free OS then they've ever been before.
I wish I had more time to play with Linux, but I always have a lot of work or projects that I'm busy with so since I loaded Mandrake 9, I haven't really been able to keep current with updates and programs that I would've liked to.
I'm not sure about you, but I actually like to have more smaller partitions better, since there are a couple advantages:
1. smaller cluster sizes (not really a big deal though)
2. Keeps things seperated better, for example I like to have my Windows partition (C with *only* the OS loaded on it (and anything else always backed up) so if I have a problem, I can just wipe the partition and do a clean install without losing anything. I also like to keep all my programs, data, and a couple other things seperated from each other in their own partitions. I find it easier to keep things organized that way. I also have a partition for my Windows and PS scratch disks.
As for backups, I have to HDs so I back important things up on both drives plus on CD, and besides that I just periodically do backups of everything to CD. (usually rewritable's)
Thanks for the tip about the thumbnails, I had that in a couple of folders since I got sick of waiting for the windows picture and fax veiwer to load my images, but I changed it back to my regular setting (View> Details).
here's probably the best site I've found so far for problems with Windows: http://www.annoyances.org/
(their "Horoscopes " section is quite amusing )

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 01:59 PM

This is my first post so if things are not right, I'll do better in the future!

Kevin,
I think your NTFS problems are from the conversion from fat. I have been running NTFS on all my servers forever. All our desktops have been NTFS for the past year. I should say all our new desktops. We have been leaving the older ones as is. I believe the ones you have had to blow away and reformat well be fine. I am afraid the ones that were converted will continue to give you problems. This won't make your job any easier but I think that is why you are not finding much info on NTFS problems.

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 08:17 PM

Hi Joe, I haven't done any conversions from FAT to NTFS. The images we create at work are from a scratch load of NT 4.0 on a bare drive. We began using NTFS because our data was exceeding the 2 Gig limit of FAT. A lot of our problems come from improper shutdowns which at times are unavoidable due to power failures and accidents. We weren't having this many problems running FAT and NTFS is supposed be able to recover from an improper shutdown better than FAT. Anyway by the end of 2003 we should be finished with the conversion to WinXP. Our desktop systems are so complicated with many vertical market and custom programs it's hard to compare our problems with others. We are a Novell shop and we are using the full implimentation of ZEN and Novell workstation manager. It just makes my job so much fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 08:33 AM

Kevin,
Sorry, I misundersood. I have found NTFS to be less forgiving of improper shutdowns than fat or atleast no more forgiving. It is one of those Microsoft says one thing when reality is in another universe things! XP does seem to be pretty stable in my environment. Hope it turns out that way for you.

Joe
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software