RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Problems with NTFS

Old 12-19-2002, 02:35 PM

Nothing is wrong with NTFS

I suspect the problem is something else. I've been using it for years with not one single problem. Rockwell Automation (the company I work for) and thousands of mission critical firms are relying on it's reliability. Say what you want about XP's user interface but NTFS is ROCK-SOLID.

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE
A lot of our problems come from improper shutdowns which at times are unavoidable due to power failures and accidents.
Corrupted boot tables are not related to NTFS. The Boot record is not written to during normal operation of XP so if you corrupted it, it's likely to be from a hardware related issue in which case the boot sectors would be corrupted, no matter what file system you are using.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 05:14 PM

Jaz, who said anything about boot tables? There are many different files that aren't part of the boot record that can become corrupted and stop Windows NT from loading. But while you bring this up NTFS like FAT and FAT32 control everything that is done to a partition, including the boot record. A corruption to the partition itself can effect any part of the data stored on that partition. The "boot strap" simply initiates the loading of a series of files that make up "Windows" or any other operating system.

I am glad your company is not having problems. My company is relativley trouble free also, our problems only efffect about 2% of the systems at any one given time. I think that figure should be lower especially considering the root cause. NTFS is not as stable as FAT32.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 08:11 PM

I wasn't acurate on my figures, 2% at any one given time is way too high. Our figures are probably closer to .5% in any given month.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE

I am glad your company is not having problems. My company is relativley trouble free also, our problems only efffect about 2% of the systems at any one given time. I think that figure should be lower especially considering the root cause. NTFS is not as stable as FAT32.
NTFS is inherently much more complex that FAT 32 so in some circumstances it may not be as stable but it's being utilized by the military and NASA in mission-critical situations which are probably slightly more demanding than what most users are experiencing. Cluster and sector and partition errors due to the operating system's failure to "write-through" are an inherent part of the I/O cache and as such are not specific to NTFS.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software