RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Xp Fyi

Old 12-20-2002, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by G. Couch
Microsoft is not stupid...???

au contraire!!
Stupid?!?

How much money does Bill Gates have?

I wish I was that stupid
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 09:33 PM

Well, I agree Microsoft isn't stupid, in fact it's just the opposite. But, that being said, they don't always have your best interest at heart whenever they make product design decissions. You can bet that there is a reason behind everything they do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE
Well, I agree Microsoft isn't stupid, in fact it's just the opposite. But, that being said, they don't always have your best interest at heart whenever they make product design decissions. You can bet that there is a reason behind everything they do.
What a surprise...They are a business and have a business model which includes making a profit.

If you're worried about that, I suggest going with Linux and using GIMP.

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 09:57 PM

Why would I be worried about that? I've been using their products for 18 years. I've been using xenix/unix/linux for almost as long. I like Microsoft products, I just wish they had more competition. We would all benefit from that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE
Why would I be worried about that?
Well, you were complaining about them not having our best interests at heart. What major, successful corporation truly worries about the consumer first, profits second? Certainly no photographers that I know! :-)

Until Ralph Nader takes over Microsoft, I think that won't change.

I agree with you regarding the lack of competition. However, Microsoft got to where they are by being smart, business and technology-wise.

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 02:28 PM

Doug, being another 50-something woman, I understand your sister's affection for cute little, big-eyed Clippy. I never needed him, but I did keep him around for a year or two just because I thought it was cute when he would tap on the monitor screen to get my attention (just like my dogs).

It was very kind of you to reinstall Clippy for her, knowing that it wasn't the best thing TECHNICALLY for her setup.

If Bill Gates added a purring cat program assistant, I'd probably let that sit on my desktop also, sucking up resources.

No one's posted about the links I posted about "safe removal of devices", which appeared to have something to do with Microsoft's choice regarding write-cacheing. I don't pretend to understand it, but it seemed to say that some device manufacturers could add some safety features that would allow Microsoft to change its need to enable write-cacheing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 02:54 PM

Been doing this computer thing for 19 years, and caching is a good thing…
Sorry but anyone that’s says it needs to be disabled don’t know much about how computers work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 03:22 PM

Sorry CJ, I am glad you posted that information. At least now I know why Microsoft defaulted that option they way they did. I just thought that everyone should know that this option was on by default, and that they had the option to turn it off if they thought this was a risky setting. Caching should be done at the hardware level if possible, read caching is good, get all you can. Write caching in software is a cheap and very foolish performance booster. But I guess I don't know much about how computers work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 03:48 PM

Kevin -- much more than me.

...and you get paid for it too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Swartz
If Bill Gates added a purring cat program assistant, I'd probably let that sit on my desktop also, sucking up resources.
Uh CJ, there is a purring cat program assistant. To find it, go into the program assistant options and scroll through the "gallery". You should find the cat in there - and it does purr. (The office assistant actually drives me crazy, but somehow I found the cat at some point. )

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software