RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

I'm returning Painter 7

Old 12-23-2002, 07:20 PM

I'm returning Painter 7

What a piece of !@#$!@#$

It crashed again while saving and I lost 2 hours worth of work. I guess the only way to really use it is to save as a different name every time you save .

I can't put up with this. Hopefully, I can return the $50 Painter 7 WOW! book I bought from Borders...

(P.S.)

Before folks start getting on my case about not saving as I was going along, I do. I save about every 15 minutes. The problem is that on one of the saves, it crashed while saving, ruining the file...

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2002, 08:59 PM

Troubleshooting Graphics Software

You have probably done all these tips, but perhaps this link may be useful to others.

Quote:
Your graphics software is crashing, displaying error messages, hanging your computer, or otherwise not functioning properly... so what can you do?
Click here

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2002, 09:16 PM

Jaz,

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. I haven't played with my copy of Painter yet and I hope my luck is better than yours. Out of curiosity, is your version 7.0 or 7.1.357? The latest update version should be 7.1.357.

Also if you have applied the update did you uninstall Painter first? According to the update instructions you must uninstall Painter. Then reinstall Painter, but do not open the application and then apply the update over the freshly installed version of Painter 7. I don't know if this will resolve the crashes or not. I hope it does, as I will be very upset if I have as much trouble with it as you have described.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2002, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T Paul
Jaz,

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. I haven't played with my copy of Painter yet and I hope my luck is better than yours. Out of curiosity, is your version 7.0 or 7.1.357? The latest update version should be 7.1.357.

Also if you have applied the update did you uninstall Painter first? According to the update instructions you must uninstall Painter. Then reinstall Painter, but do not open the application and then apply the update over the freshly installed version of Painter 7. I don't know if this will resolve the crashes or not. I hope it does, as I will be very upset if I have as much trouble with it as you have described.

~T
The CD I installed was already version 7.1.357

I've tried running mine in win2k compatibility mode. I may give it one more try in win98 mode and see if that makes any difference...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 03:17 AM

Jaz

I assume you have tried this, but if you have not, don't save or load a PSD with Painter. Use only TIF to pass files back and forth with Photoshop, and only single layers. And when working in Painter, use only RIFF to save as you go along.

I hope you solve this problem because I admire the way you have just dived into Painter with those pictures I saw. I like the one of the woman sitting in front of the water.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ugot2bkdng
Jaz,

Just out of curiousity, what hardware configuration and operating system are you running?

chuck

2 month old Dell Latitude. 1.8gz, 512mb memory, 40gb disk, GeForce video card, windows xp pro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew B.
Jaz

I assume you have tried this, but if you have not, don't save or load a PSD with Painter. Use only TIF to pass files back and forth with Photoshop, and only single layers. And when working in Painter, use only RIFF to save as you go along.
Mostly I'm loading jpg files to start with. I'll try saving tif files. I'm also currently running in Win98 compatbility mode and so far, no crashes in the last several hours of running...

Quote:

I hope you solve this problem because I admire the way you have just dived into Painter with those pictures I saw. I like the one of the woman sitting in front of the water.
Thanks Andrew,

I appreciate the feedback. :-) I'm hoping I can stick with it. I really like the program but losing work while saving is the worst kind of bug. I'm an engineer so I'm pretty meticulous about periodically saving my work but corrupting the file when you save is kind of harsh! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2002, 10:01 PM

Keeping it after all

If you're willing to work with smaller images, it seems to work more
reliably. Here's what I have done which seems to have me covered...

1) Resize to a maximum size of 2000 by X...
2) Always copy current changes to clipboard and paste into ACDSee and save
there.
3) Then, I perform the save from painter. This has saved me several times
when painter crashes while saving and I lose the file.

I shoot mainly with a Canon D60 which produces 3072x2048 24 bit files. With
WinXP and 512mb of memory, painter just cannot handle the file sizes. It was
crashing about every 15 minutes with this arrangement. With the smaller
resolution files, it's only crashed twice today...

I'm going to keep it after all...

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 09:35 AM

Crash update...

A very interesting discovery. The crashing is also related to whether or not you save to the same file name or not. In every other application, once you save a file, the app remembers the file name and subsequent saves go to the same file without a filename prompt. In painter, this does not happen. It defaults to the same file name but continues to prompt every time. I have found that when I save to the current file I am working on, it crashes quite often. When I save to a new file each time, it rarely crashes. Since I have started this new techinque, it has only crashed once in 5 days...

This should to be reported and fixed ASAP!

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the update Jaz. I received Painter 7 before Christmas, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet, so I'm following your experience with lots of interest.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software