RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Made up my mind.

Old 12-24-2002, 08:46 AM

Made up my mind.

Painter is going back. I tried all the suggestions. This time it crashed whlie saving it's native file format (RIFF) so there's no question about it not being able to save PSD files like someone suggested. When I try to load the file I spent 1 hour working on I get "Bad RIFF data. What a piece of crap...

Another few issues:

- It also periodically loses it's notion of what type of layer I've saved so when I bring up a RIFF file that previously had a water color layer, the layer comes up as a non water colored layer and I can't paint on it with water color brushes anymore.

- I was excited to see the notes section of the layer attribute dialog. I meticulously recorded what brushes were used in the layer. Unfortunately, when I brought the RIFF file back up a second time it had not saved the notes...

What a shame. It's a wonderful idea with amazing features but it's implemented extremely poorly.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions but at this point the money I have invested in the software and book can be put to better use.

Last edited by jaz; 12-24-2002 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 10:19 AM

People have been using Painter for a long time on this forum..I never heard anyone else have such bad problems..I wonder if it is something unique to your setup..Hope you can resolve it.

Jerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 10:50 AM

Sorry the file type thing didn't work out, Jaz. There is obviously something not getting along, but with a 30 day deadline to return and all your work getting trashed, there has to be a point where you get fed up. And I assume you tried uninstalling and reinstalling already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
People have been using Painter for a long time on this forum..I never heard anyone else have such bad problems..I wonder if it is something unique to your setup..Hope you can resolve it.

Jerry
Jerry,

You're not searching very hard. Go to google and search for Corel Painter 7 problems and read about people's woes. Apparently it does not work well with Win2k or XP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew B.
Sorry the file type thing didn't work out, Jaz. There is obviously something not getting along, but with a 30 day deadline to return and all your work getting trashed, there has to be a point where you get fed up. And I assume you tried uninstalling and reinstalling already.
Yep, I already uninstalled and re-installed. I don't know if I mentioned here but I discovered that it's related to image size. It just can't handle D60 size files (3072x2048). I went back and played around with some D30 files (~2500x1900) and didn't have any problems.

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2002, 12:14 PM

> I don't know if I mentioned here but I discovered that it's related to image size. It just can't handle D60 size files (3072x2048)<

I've worked on images for over two hours, but never anything that large. And I'm sure you thought of working at a smaller size, but it just doesn't fit the way you need to work.

Sorry this is not working out for you. I hope someone comes up with something before you send it back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 08:43 PM

Have you considered trying out Deep Paint by Right Hemisphere? It's not as full featured as Painter but it might be worth having a go with the demo.

http://www.righthemisphere.com/produ...aint/index.htm

Rich
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe555
Have you considered trying out Deep Paint by Right Hemisphere? It's not as full featured as Painter but it might be worth having a go with the demo.

http://www.righthemisphere.com/produ...aint/index.htm

Rich
I installed it and it didn't install correctly. I could have fixed it by moving it into the proper plug-in directory but after being so frustrated by Painter 7, I didn't feel like messing with a program which couldn't even install itself properly
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software