RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Batch printing software or trick needed

Old 01-11-2003, 04:09 AM

Have you tried ACDSee?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigAl
Have you tried ACDSee?
I wouldn't recommend ACDSee. I bought version 5 and it's buggy, crashes frequently and their cusomer support and service are terrible. They never responded to 2 submissions I sent them regarding problems. I also emailed them about a rebate and never heard back from them. I will *NEVER* buy another one of their products.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 10:25 AM

I'm with jaz on this. I have been using Qimage Pro for almost 2 years. I use it to print all my pictures. It uses several different interpolation methods including lanczos, which some say is as good as Genuine Fractals. There many things I like about it, like being able to print 3 4x6's on an 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper, being able to throw a bunch of odd size images in and tell it to fit them on a sheet of paper. It has a batch filter, which Doug is interested in. It's cheap, and you get free support and upgrades for life.

I also use their color profiling software, Profile Prism, for profiling my printer and scanner. It works very well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Janitor

Qimage does indeed rock. I can recommend it for any user who wants control over printing multiple photos or contact sheets or picture packages. It doesn't waste any time with cutesy stuff, and has some very powerful controls. It's like Photoshop's Picture Package and Contact Sheet combined and on steroids.

But it does have some quirks that disqualify it from being my solution. I've sent an email to the author, we'll see how he responds. I've viewed the archives for the support mailing list, and it appears he's in a situation I can sympathize with (not enough time, contradictory feature requests, etc.).

As for ACDsee, I'm downloading the printing plugin now, we'll see how it performs (a shame that it's an extra expense, though).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 02:51 PM

Hey Doug,

Just curious what quirks you are talking about?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Janitor

Well, not to turn this into a Qimage support thread (not that I'm averse to one, just this isn't it), but here goes:

Can't reorder more than one queue item at a time
Even with Image Lock on, some pics still rotate
Can permanently delete or edit your originals, if you accidentally hit OK once too many times (I know, it warns you, but should default to never touching originals, ever, with an option to work the way it currently does)
Relies too much on hotkeys and rightclicking. Hotkeys are good, but need to be an alternative to gui buttons, not the only way.

All trivial stuff for most people making a proofsheet or a dozen prints, but in my case (printing several hundred images in a specific order), working around the quirks takes longer than simply sorting the actual paper by hand after printing.

Feel free to start a separate Qimage thread if you want. I really do like the app.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Janitor

ACDSee is a fine app that I've recommended as a viewer and manager since it first came out. But it doesn't work well for my purposes due to lack of reordering and poor print quality for full-page prints (it just blows up the thumbnail, doesn't actually print the image). Fotoslate, the printing plugin, addresses both these areas pretty well, but it still isn't my solution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 03:35 PM

Doug,

I hope you add your findings to the review forum.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Janitor

10 minutes of fiddling with a demo version wouldn't make for a fair review. Besides, my purposes only touch 1% of the capabilities of most of these apps. But I'd be happy to append my thoughts to anyone else's real review.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2003, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
Well, not to turn this into a Qimage support thread (not that I'm averse to one, just this isn't it), but here goes:

Can't reorder more than one queue item at a time
Even with Image Lock on, some pics still rotate
Can permanently delete or edit your originals, if you accidentally hit OK once too many times (I know, it warns you, but should default to never touching originals, ever, with an option to work the way it currently does)
Relies too much on hotkeys and rightclicking. Hotkeys are good, but need to be an alternative to gui buttons, not the only way.

All trivial stuff for most people making a proofsheet or a dozen prints, but in my case (printing several hundred images in a specific order), working around the quirks takes longer than simply sorting the actual paper by hand after printing.

Feel free to start a separate Qimage thread if you want. I really do like the app.
Doug - I have noticed some of these issues before. Would you mind me quoting you or linking to these comments on the qimage site?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software