RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Batch printing software or trick needed

Old 01-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Janitor

Feel free, but he's probably already sick of my complaining
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 03:35 PM

Hi Doug. I noticed that you posted a question on the Qimage Yahoo group message board. I suggest that you post a tech support question on the DDIsoftware support link. Mike does answer questions on the yahoo site but There is so much junk going on on that board now that it might get overlooked. He does answer questions posted to the support e-mail account. It seems that it's a zoo on the Yahoo site right now. Kind of getting like the DPReview site. I hope this site doesn't get like that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Janitor

Thanks for the tip, but I've already done both (different questions). I can sympathize with his being overwhelmed

For those playing at home, I still haven't found my ideal solution. Right now I'm using Photoshop's contact print automation script, setting a 1x1 image grid (for one image per page), with the filename as the caption. I never thought I could have 220 simultaneous open PS documents without crashing, but it worked. But then I still have to print each one and then manually sort the printouts by filename (they get very much out of order).

Summary: I want to point to a folder with several hundred TIF images in it, have each one printed full-page, no cropping, no rotation, no image enhancement or editing, with the filename at the bottom in a big font. WinXP will natively do all of that except adding the filename.

I don't want to spend money for an elaborate app that does a million things and I only use one of them, like the many album-creators and multi-print apps out there. It's not that I'm trying to save money, it's that I don't want to wade through the interface.

If this is so hard to find, perhaps this is an opportunity for any shareware programmers out there that might be reading this.

Actually, the contact sheet and print package apps in Photoshop both lack the capability to send directly to the printer instead of simply making a new file, so just adding that capability would be a killer contribution to the PS world (is anyone from Adobe reading this? Maybe for PS8?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE
Kind of getting like the DPReview site. I hope this site doesn't get like that.
Interesting viewpoint. I love the dpreview site mainly because of the diversity and message traffic. I love this board too but it's so slow sometimes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 10:10 PM

I guess I generalized it too much. It's the printing forum that is a zoo sometimes. The retouch forum is still quite good and diverse like you said. Sometimes the Nikon forum is kind of crazy. I've been haunting DPReview for a couple of years. I got a real good start in my equipment selection thanks to DPReview.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE
I guess I generalized it too much. It's the printing forum that is a zoo sometimes. The retouch forum is still quite good and diverse like you said. Sometimes the Nikon forum is kind of crazy. I've been haunting DPReview for a couple of years. I got a real good start in my equipment selection thanks to DPReview.
I haven't spent much time in the printer forum. The forum I frequent the most other than retouching is the Canon SLR forum (since I own a Canon D60).

That forum is definitely a zoo!

Jaz
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 02:34 PM

I'm working real hard to justify getting an SLR. Maybe I'll get lucky and a real good justification will fall out of the sky. I don't know, my wife already thinks I have gotten too many new toys lately.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Janitor

I posted some bad information about ACDSee, which I feel obligated to correct. It does not, as I thought, simply blow up the thumbnails. In fact, except for one printing bug, it does a very fine job, and is very close to what I had in mind.

However, when adding a filename caption to a tall, skinny image the filename caption falls below the margin and won't print (nothing past the margins will print in ACDSee). I sent in a support request, we'll see how long it takes for them to reply, and if they fix the problem (or tell me what I'm doing wrong).

The FotoSlate plugin is for adding printing effects, which I have no need of, but (if they fix my problem) ACDSee does what I need without the plugin (except for the reordering).

I also tried Thumbs Plus, which is a very nice program, but didn't offer the printing controls I need.

I also tried Visual Media Explorer, but it was irratic and unintuitive (and looked very much like ACDSee, which is what convinced me to revisit it).

I also tried about 5 or so others, none of which met my criteria.

I'm abandoning Qimage due to a poor fit to my needs (but it's still a very nice app).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software