RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Whats Really Useful?

Old 08-24-2001, 01:04 PM

Whats Really Useful?

There are hundreds of stand alone and plug in type software applications out there all promising really neat things. It's hard to seperate the hype from the truth,at least for me, SO.... What things should you be thinking Before you buy a program? Where do you get info on what they will Really do as opposed to the claims? What programs have you used and like or dislike and why. Sharing this info will help all of us to become better informed about a market which is almost to big for one person to critically evaluate, and perhaps help someone to avoid buying " a pig in a poke"? Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2001, 05:04 PM

I use the Extensis Photobars which I like alot because it puts alot of menu commands in little buttons next to my tools and I can customize them to the ones we use the most. I also have Intelihance Pro and do use it at times when I want to see several options of the same photo all together. Some of the options are descreen, drum scan, digital camera, scratch reduction and more.

With it, I also got several other nice plug ins but to be truthful, I hardly use them anymore.

I tried Eye Candy for a trial and liked the possibilities but not enough to pay the cost for them. It was more of a new toy syndrome than a necessity.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2001, 05:42 PM

I purchased Extensis Mask Pro before upgrading to PS 6 and found it to be a good program, however with the enhancements to the extract tool in PS 6 it has slipped from a must have to a nice to have. If you are using PS4,5,5.5 though and you do a lot of masking, there is one very versitile program. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it not anything intimidating. One I cant recommend is OTTOPATHS from Human Software.It is suppost to flow text on paths and it does but not very easily. I had trouble with it from the start, as the documentation is a little lacking in detail and a bit confusing. Perhaps Someone else could sit down and make it fly like a bird but for me it just sorta sat there. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 12:02 AM

While looking thru my plug-in list I remembered one from Flaming Pear software, India Ink which I have used several times and really like. It is worth checking into. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 10:13 AM

How good could it be if you forgot you had it? No just kidding, I am the same way. I love those plug-ins and think I really have to have them but for most of the work I do I find I never really use them anyway.

I have so many downloaded plug-ins (free-bees) that Photoshop choked on them and I had to move them. So now I don't use them because they have to be located before starting up. Have you ever heard of Plug In Commander and software like that which organizes your extra plugins so that you will have access to all of them when you use Photoshop? I was kind of curious about how well that worked.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 12:15 PM

Yep, been there, done that and crashed it too. I looked into the specifics of Plug -In commander and it looks like a good choice if you do work which involves lots of effects which are faster and easier to do with plug-ins than in your image editing program directly. If I was in that line I would definately get it. However, even the ones I DO use, I dont use that much and do tend to forget about them which DOES beg the question, how essential are they really if you just do mostly restore work, as you pointed out. It is sure possible to spend hundreds of dollars on 'em and then find out ( if your "Digital Direction" changes)you have a lot of stuff which is doing you almost as much good as a shirt-tail relative turning up on your doorstep for a 2 month visit!! As I understood it the "Commander" acts like a file cabinet, you open it from the Filter menu where it lives and then open various"drawers" to find what you need. Which, if like the drawers in my desk, are likely to contain everything EXCEPT WHAT I NEED!!! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2001, 02:39 PM

Yeah that's what I heard it does too. I hesitate to get it even though it only costs $35 because I don't know if it works with Windows 2000 and I don't like surprises when I find out things are not compatible. Also I don't use them enough to justify it just as you said.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 09:49 AM

Has anyone played around with the Andromedia software plug-in filter "Varifocus"? Can it do anything which cant be done in Photoshop etc., is it faster, better, mediocre, confusing, easy to learn? Thanks in advance, Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software