RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Important update on virus

Old 02-04-2003, 01:33 AM

yes, that would definitely be the smart thing to do. reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows isn't hard though, so it's faster just to do it your self (just make sure you have *everything* backed up!!!) there's a couple free programs you can use for reformatting. one is the Ranish Partition Manager it's freeware and can do any kind of reformatting, partitioning etc. that you could want to do with your hard drive, but it's a DOS program and it's not completely intuitive, so read up on it first if you're going to use it. another one is from Maxtor, it's called MaxBlast Plus II (it will only work if at least one of your hard drives is a maxtor but I think I remember you saying something about having a problem with a maxtor drive Ed) it works quite nicely for formatting and partitioning. I've used both, but if you're new to partitioning, go with the Maxtor (or another alternative is PartitionMagic by PowerQuest) which is easier to use.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 09:58 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies. So far, so good. No other problems *yet*. I'll keep a sharp eye on it though. If it starts acting wierd again, I'll talk my son-in-law into doing the dirty work for me.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 10:06 AM

Since AVG anti-virus CAUGHT the worm, the worm shouldn't be the cause of the new problems. If there is any new program added in the last few days, it would be good to check to see if that is the cause. My computer sometimes freezes while doing things because of a lack of resources -- when I'm running several programs plus visiting the web, and haven't re-booted in a while. The freeze during the virus-scan worries me, though -- have you been able to complete the scan after re-booting?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 02:36 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
After I set it to an earlier restore point, everything seems to be working OK again. I ran another complete AVG test, and a Trojan Remover scan since then. Everything ran to completion, and nothing was found. The only thing I've downloaded in the past month or so was the Trojan Remover, because of the problems I was having. But I slept good last night, and expect to do the same tonight.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software