RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Important update on virus

Old 02-01-2003, 12:44 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Important update on virus

I sent a few messages to individuals to let them know I had received a virus. I just found out that the e-mail I sent had an attachment with it. I did not put an attachment in the e-mail. I hope I didn't infect anyone else's system. Now what do I do???

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 09:37 PM

My e-mail from you didn't have anything attached to it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 09:51 PM

not your fault

Ed, that is sort of how the worm gets around, it attaches itself to your email to anybody you email, it may be that it did not get contained as you thought.
If your computer starts doing just little strange things, that is a sure sign, first mine wouldn't shut down, then a couple of days later it wouldn't come on, then one of my programs wouldn't boot up, and on finally the safe mode starting coming up, that was when i took it in and found out i had a "worm"
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 10:02 PM

Ed,

If you think the W32.Sobig.A@mm worm has infected your computer here are the instructions on how to remove it:

Symantec Security

Hope this helps....

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 10:58 PM

Thank you for the link T. I think I'm in good shape now (fingers crossed). By the way, I like the new avatar!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 12:29 PM

Thanks Ed!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2003, 02:26 PM

Possibly my computer is infected after all. It passed the tests, but it's doing some wierd things today. There are quite a few files I don't have backed up, but most are. I was backing up files, and my files were being saved to CD, when all of a sudden, everything froze. This happened three times, and all three times, I had to shut down by holding the off switch in. I decided to run another virus scan with AVG, and it scanned about half of my C: drive, when it froze again. This is becoming a real learning experience. So if you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know why.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2003, 08:30 PM

Ed
Check your msconfig and see if anything new was added to the startup. Perhaps something was loaded and is running and causing this disturbance. Also check out Trojan Remover and Ad Aware. these 2 programs check for spyware and trojan horses hidden in your system, they can also cause freezes. Adaware is free and trojan remover is a trial. I would also advise a registry checker or scanner to see if anything was added to your registry. Although adaware and TR will check reg files, sometimes it's not enough. I'll try and find out some more for you. Keep us posted if you can.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 PM

Thank you Debbie. Knowing what little I know about computers, I can use all the help I can get! I downloaded the Trojan Remover, and ran a scan. It found nothing. After restoring my computer to an earlier restore point, everything seems to be OK now. My brain's on a roller coaster!! One minute I'm pretty sure I'm OK, and the next, I'm expecting the machine to blow up! At the present time, I'm feeling good about it, so I think I'll go to bed feeling that way. Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 12:15 AM

know i said this before

But. . . . it is acting exactly like a worm does and as far as I know the only way to rid it is to wipe your hard drive, I really recommend taking it somewhere and having them check it and do it for you. My friend went through the same thing and kept thinking it was ok the next day only to have something else go wrong and she waited until it zapped everything in her computer and she had to get a new one it was so damaged by the worm
Like I said before, I am less than "know anything" about computers but this is what I was told.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software