RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Mystical Lighting Plugin

Old 02-08-2003, 11:57 AM

Mystical Lighting Plugin

http://www.autofx.com/mystical_light..._lighting.html

I was pretty impressed by the examples on the opening page. Then I realized that every example they show started with a good photo. And I'm not saying this is bad, or that the filter is bad. Just make sure to check the before and after carefully before deciding what it can do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2003, 08:26 PM

That is impressive. Did you try the demo yet? Curious to see if it works as well as it seems in the examples. And how easy it is to use.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2003, 10:01 PM

Sorry to say, I haven't downloaded the demo. So I can't give any impressions. But it does appear to have more light effects than any other light plugin I've seen. I'm just not sure how well they would work on other pictures. The ones they display are well-suited to use these effects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2003, 10:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if it was the pictures they used that were so attractive or if the lighting effects would create the same impression to any photo we used. It might be neat to find out. I'm not sure if I will get a chance in the near future to really try it but if I do I'll let you know.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2003, 11:56 PM

If it's like other Auto F/X demos, there is no way to test with any of your pictures. All the one's I've tried limit users to a few pictures that are part of the demo. But if you find out something, please let us know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2003, 12:19 AM

All the lighting effects can be done in PhotoShop or PSP without this plugin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2003, 01:49 PM

Quote:
All the lighting effects can be done in PhotoShop or PSP without this plugin
I didn't check the demo, but I would assume so. I've seen tutorials on the web for most of what I've seen in the Mystical Lighting gallery of examples.

So the question becomes "What is the advantage, if any?" I know one woman who is seriously looking at the demo even though she routinely does light effects with native tools. Her interest is to see if it could make some things easier. But for other people it could be a waste of money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2003, 08:48 PM

Just a follow-up note. Someone just pointed out to me that there is a way to place one of your own images into the demo to test with. What you do it load it on top of one of their demo image.

To do this, look for the Add New Layer icon on the bottom of the Mystical Lighting Layers Palette. Select the choice "Photo Layer." A Photo Layer menu will appear on the left of the screen. Click Select Photo, and a file window will pop up. Navigate to your picture and select it. You can then apply effects to your picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2003, 06:24 PM

Hi!

Um, err. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS! Double that and you can buy Photoshop! (On one of the super, but legal, deals that pop up from time to time.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 11:31 PM

Does anyone know where i can find some good photoshop lighting tutorials? maybe some ones that have similar effects as this plug-in? its definitely not in my budget right now, and i always feel like i have more control working directly in Photoshop anyways. Thanks in advance.
-Michelle
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software