RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Image storing/organizing software?

Old 05-05-2003, 08:19 PM

No wonder you are stressed!. I hope to be organized before I get that many images. I do spend a lot of time looking for images when I want something specific. "Now where did I see a picture like that before. I wonder which CD it will be on?"

Anyone tried Adobe's Photo Album?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2003, 08:40 PM

Luckily, my CD's usually don't have too many files on them since I save my full-size PSD files with all of the layers. That can make for some pretty big files - and it doesn't take many to fill up a CD.

One of my other "organizational issues" is all of my "film-based" images! I've got over 2000 slides and at least as many prints/negatives (not all worth keeping - that's yet another aspect of my getting organized) - in addition to all of the archive CDs. The prints/negatives are the ones that really should be organized first b/c I truly have no idea what I even have - and even if I have an idea, it's too much work to find what I'm looking for. I haven't looked closely at iMatch to see if it will let me organize the "physical" images as well as the digital ones.

One thing I did just purchase is a Case Logic CD Storage Library. I was visiting with a graphic designer friend and when he needed a CD, he just pulled out a drawer and flipped through his CD's like looking for a folder in a filing cabinet. It holds up to 200 CDs - and access will be a lot faster than searching through my current storage solution - a couple of 50 CD spindles and a 224 CD binder! Of course, it doesn't necessarily help with organization, so I still need a database of some sort. But I think it will be a good step forward for me!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2003, 09:00 PM

Hmmm - just rereading my post and realize that two 50 CD spindles and a 224 binder add up to a lot more than 100 CDs! Just to clarify, the CD spindles are not full - and a LOT of the CDs are from system backups, which I don't count in my image organization issues.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2003, 09:07 PM

I get the picture. I plan on doing something similar. Another one of my problems is I am simply running out of office space. I'm planning a remodel of this room soon, which I don't look forward to, and hopefully I will get the space I need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2003, 11:07 PM

a temporary solution...............

right now I have only about a dozen CDs jammed full of images and NO organization at all. I have I-View, and I'm pretty sure it will be useful after I get my images cataloged into specific topics.

I made a contact sheet of the images on each CD and put it and the CD in a page protector in a 3-ring binder.

it works now, but I know I'm going to have to get better organzied soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 AM

Might be a solution

Goto:

http://www.cyberguys.com/

Search "media storage" and there is a CD carousel that hold 150 CDs. It seems to have a search capability for files. etc., that it uses to find the CD and "give" it to you. I have been looking at this for a while. I only have 7gig of photos, but this might be an option for you "File heavy" people. It even says you can link them togeather.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2003, 08:45 AM

Now THAT looks COOL!!!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2003, 09:25 PM

Probably a naive question here - but are all of you people trying to keep "photo files" on your customer orders?
After too many years in business to count, the only records we try to maintain are financial and market analysis on several thousand active accounts.

As the images belong to the clients and are not our property, we deliver the final job either with the film negative or CD's as the case may be. I can see no reason to keep any of the images - other then the ones that I have releases on for use as samples and that amounts to no more than 600 total. The sample files are well edited for types of work to cover every conceivable kind of assignment that we are likely to run into. They are backed up on 4x5 film in a fairly unsophisticated file that amount to nothing more than hanging files in a fire safe.. The thumbs or photos being used in our literature are all that remains on the computer and I have yet to fill a CD with those!

Just another point on topic, when we farm out work to other retouching artists as some of you know we insist (with written agreements) that they destroy and/or return all work prints and other images. It's a matter assuring that the rights of our clients are not violated by someone sticking their photos up on some wed site or selling them without permission.

My personal photos amount to thousands in shoe boxes and/or scattered across a half a dozen hard drives and seriously doubt that those will ever get organized - but this wasn't about personal photos was it???

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2003, 10:26 PM

Hey Jim. My current storage problem is my personal files. Although I had considered the future storage of customer data. You bring up some points I hadn't considered. I will rethink my plans to keep customer files. I will be glad to not have that headache. I can tell the customer, as I hand him the CD containing his originals and my finished work, that this is going to be the only copy and he should keep them safe.

I have only officially been in the business for less than 6 months so I can count the number of paying customers on my fingers and toes. I have been setting a good example for my customers and archiving all my family pictures, all that I can get my hands on, and have quite a large number of digital pictures.

You have offered some good advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2003, 07:18 AM

Purely personal for me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software