RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Image storing/organizing software?

Old 05-13-2003, 09:53 PM

Anyone else had time to evaluate any of the packages mentioned? I have taken a look at iMatch and like what I have seen. I wish I could get the combination of iMatch and Archive Creator. I really like what they both do but hope I don't have to buy both to get what I need. iMatch will allow you to burn CDs and will record the images in the database that you have removed to CD but wont span CDs.

I'll keep digging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 10:41 PM

I've been too busy to really look at either, but my feeling is I'm going to need to purchase both. I haven't yet had time to check this out, but I'm wondering if Archive Creator archives in a special format that requires Archive Creator to read it - or does it simply (hopefully) save the files in whatever format they are in (JPG, PSD, TIFF, etc.) and figure out the best combination to fit on the least number of discs? I'm hoping for the latter - because then I assume I could use iMatch to catalog the discs.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2003, 10:32 PM

Just ran accross this regarding CD burning software, Roxio makes Toast for Mac and Easy CD & DVD Creator for PC at $79.95, Easy CD states;

"Back up, share or archive your important files to CD or DVD, or large projects to multiple discs. Easily retrieve files or projects back to the original or new location on my Windows® PC with Roxio Retrieve."

It has a lot of other music, DVD Creation and other software bundled with it also that 'might' make it a more versatile choice than Archive Creator ...

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2003, 10:35 PM

Kevin, I have looked at iMatch and don't see where it lets you burn CD's from within the program ... ?

Jeanie, it is my understanding that Archive Creator is just copying the file to the CD, not putting them in a different format first.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2003, 10:49 PM

I guess I didn't say that right. You can burn the CD in Windows XP and then let iMatch catalog the CD. It will detect that the files have been removed from the directory that it had already cataloged and request that it be allowed to rescan the directory.

Yes Archive Creator doesn't change the files in any way. It will put a copy of the database of the archive and the program necessary to view the files on the CD as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2003, 01:05 AM

Hi, I just ran across this, and purchased it.

http://www.jasc.com/products/photoalbum/

It allows 2 up image comparrisons that are easy with independant zoom in and pan of each image (same short-cut keys as Photoshop). Cataloging is done with album collections and keywords that act as categories since they can be nested and selected. It is quick and simple to use. Albums and Windows Folders mirror each other. You don't have to load a directory into the database to access it. You can also do some quick fix stuff from within the program.

The only thing that stumped me at first was cataloging of-line CD's. My solution is to create a keyword (I called my CD's), then create a keyword for each CD created, nested in "CD's". It only takes a couple of clicks to attach the keyword name of the CD to all of the files on the CD.

Being able to compare 2 images side by side quickly is important to me because of showing customers thier photos from a session, it is a lot easier to weed the choices down to the best ones that way.

Other Notes: It appears that Roxio Easy CD Creator burns multiple CD's as a back-up file, You need to use Roxio to retreave the file...

Renaming is not very sophisticated, I will probably use Breezer Browser for that function. Breeze Browser also allows comparrison by opening multiple windows, but you can't zoom in or organize easily - but it is great at what it does.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2003, 09:39 AM

Thanks for continuing to update us on your finds Roger. It is a great help!

Jeanie (adding to my contribution amount to RP! )
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software