RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Image storing/organizing software?

Old 03-16-2003, 10:06 AM

Image storing/organizing software?

I'm rapidly becoming overwhelmed by all the images I'm creating. Can someone recommend a program that will help me organize them?

I'm using a MAC and Jaguar.

thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2003, 10:43 AM

I'm also using a Mac and Jaguar - don't make the same mistake I did. I used iPhoto and sorted everything - looked good but iPhoto gets bogged down. You can create new libraries, but you have to rename the libraries so you can see them in iphoto and you can only have one active library at a time - in other words, you can't move a photo from one library to another.

I gave up on iPhoto. I tried several other similar apps, but they all got bogged down after a certain point - I have 100's of images and I'm sure you do too.

Then I discovered that you can make Jaguar display the photo as an icon in the finder. View>Show View Options click on
Show Icon Preview. Once I was dealing with actual images instead of rows of dcp_000123.jpg, I could sort them quite efficiently.

Now here's where I ran into a problem. In iPhoto, you can sort a library into albums. When you look at the album list in the finder, it looks like it's the real image, but it's only an alias - I ended up saving the aliases, and deleting the real thing.

For work I do for customers, I make folders named yyyymm, (200303 - for March, 2003), inside there, are folders named yyyymmdd (20030316 - for today) inside each day each job gets it's own folder with a "-n" where "n" is the number of the job for that day. Inside the month folder, I keep a text file with a brief description of each job and if you use TextEdit, you can even paste a scaled down copy of the image. At the end of the month, I burn that month's folder to a cd, but I keep a copy of the text file on the hard drive. When I make up the customer bill, I reference the job number eg 20030316-1 so I can always find it again. It's a bit tedious looking through the text files to find the one I'm looking for, but it beats going through dozens of cd's. The yyyymmdd naming format means the folders will always be sorted properly.

Hope this helps, margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2003, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the info.

I've heard some fantastic reviews about Adobe's new cataloging software, but alas, it is for Windows only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2003, 12:17 PM

Hi, I am just starting to research this same thing, here are the programs I have come across so far;

This was recommended at a seminar, it is mac - windows version due in a couple of weeks.
iView at www.iview-multimedia.com

ACDSee at http://www.acdsystems.com/English/index.htm - it saves thumbnails of all your images so that you don't have to open the cd

BeezeBrowser at http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/

Thumbs Plus at http://www.cerious.com/

Extensis Portfolio at http://www.extensis.com/portfolio/ - this looks like a professional level program

It is a lot of work to compare the programs so ...
EVERYONE - PLEASE DON"T BE SHY GIVING US YOUR OPINIONS

Thanks, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2003, 11:39 PM

Right under my nose all the time!

I checked out the iview site, and something about it looked familiar.

I got it bundled with Toast that I got over a year ago!

I played around with it a little bit and was quite impressed, so I took advantage of the 1/2 price offer by already have the earlier version and purchased the latest version.

One of the things I like about it most is being able to catalog my fonts.

I highly recommend checking it out. Particularly if you're using a MAC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2003, 09:33 PM

Talking Get the Best

Greetings to one and all:

As roger wrote, I highly recommend Extensis Portfolio 6. This program is powerful and worth every penny. You should be able to find it for $100 - $180. Go to Extensis.com and download a trial version first. Then go through the manual to archive your own images. You won't be disappointed.

Eric
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2003, 10:54 PM

Hi, I am still looking around and I just found a program that I want to add to this list. It looks amazing in it's flexibility and user adjustable open programing. It is iMatch at http://www.photools.com/ for only $50.

I downloaded the trial version along with many of the others and made a list of my "important needs" so I wouldn't go dizzy with all the different things that these programs can do and loose my focus. I will report back if I find in surprising differences.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2003, 11:26 AM

Interesting Roger. Just this morning I saw a post on the filmscanners list that mentioned iMatch as a favorite of the poster. I will definitely be looking into this (though probably not right away.) I'd certainly be interested in any feedback you have. (Perhaps you could add your thoughts to the review section here on RP?) My CD collection of backed-up images is quickly growing out of control.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2003, 04:09 PM

Well Jeanie put my name on that list of "image storage out of control." Thanks for the tip Roger, I am looking also. I don't know about you guys but I am having problems with XP Pro when I have a directory with a large number of images in it. It's not a new problem because I had trouble with Win2000 Pro also. I normally like to fill up a CD before burning, to save money I guess, but I am going to have to learn to not put too many files on one CD.

Anyway I have 22 Archive CD's full of images and I am also archiving customer data to CD. I need some organization!

I am thinking about buying a DVD-R/RW drive so I can cut down on the volume of CD's. I wonder what XP will do if I show it a DVD full of images?

I know what the problem is, it is thumbs.db, which I can live without in Explorer. The problem is that I like using Photoshop 7 "file browser" and it must pass the I/O off to XP because it goes off into never never land just like Explorer does when I try to view files as thumbnails. I guess I am exceeding the limitations of this feature which is another reason I need an image managment program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2003, 08:11 PM

Anyway I have 22 Archive CD's full of images and I am also archiving customer data to CD. I need some organization!

Only 22?!? I'm sorry, but you're relegated to the bottom of the "image storage out of control" list. I've got well over 100 archive CDs! And keeping track of them in my brain is taking too many of the precious few brain waves I've got left working.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software