RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop won't load.

Old 04-06-2003, 06:16 PM

Photoshop won't load.

After spending most of the day re installing photoshop 7.0 because it refused to load once again, I thought maybe someone here would know of something to try next time instead of a full blown re install. It seems to happen to me about every 3 months. When it happens it is always as it is loading plugins, even though it worked fine yesterday and nothing new was installed. Does this happen to anyone else?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2003, 06:57 PM

that's odd Ken, but we could probably give you more help if you can provide more info i.e. which OS you're using, if you've updated to the lates release (7.03) what filters etc. you've loaded which could be preventing it from starting up. also, what kind of system are you running, could it maybe be a lack of enough RAM? this sounds like quite a strange problem

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2003, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by d_kendal
that's odd Ken, but we could probably give you more help if you can provide more info i.e. which OS you're using, if you've updated to the lates release (7.03) what filters etc. you've loaded which could be preventing it from starting up. also, what kind of system are you running, could it maybe be a lack of enough RAM? this sounds like quite a strange problem

- David
I have version 7.01 of photoshop and running under windows ME, 384 megs of ram. I didn't even know there was a version 7.03, going to go check that out now.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2003, 07:37 PM

All I find at Adobe is the 7.01 version update, which I already have.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2003, 07:57 PM

Have you tried rebooting before starting Photoshop again (maybe another program allocated memory - even if it is not being used - that photoshop can't get to) or - Have you tried hitting control-alt-delete (I have Windows98 - I am assuming you can still do that) to see if another program is hanging it up (i had an older epson ink monitor that was doing that to me)

good luck, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Janitor

The standard responses to this type of thing are:

1. Delete your prefs
2. Disable any sort of recycle bin protection (like Norton)
3. List Photoshop as an approved program with any sort of firewall app you might be running (if this is the prob, temporarily disabling the firewall will allow you to start PS)
4. Temporarily move your plugins folder out of the PS path (if nothing changes, just move them back to where you got them and no harm done)

Good luck, keep us posted about your progress.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2003, 09:08 PM

I did try rebooting.....twice. I have a program installed called Roxio Go Back, that lets me go back in time to return my computer to a previous state and that didn't work either. As it stands now, I have everything re installed and it is working fine. I copied the entire plug in folder to another drive for safe keeping in hopes of, in case this happens again, to be able to just re install photoshop and then move the plugin folder back into place. Is it possible to have to many plugins? What I have amounts to about 724 megs.
Ram shouldn't be the culprit as when this happens, it won't load even after a cold boot. That is a good point on moving the plugin folder completly out, at least it'll let me know for sure it is a problem from within that folder. Hopefully though, this won't happen again...Oh and while I'm hoping...I hope to win the lottery too

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2003, 02:40 AM

whoops, sorry Ken, I typed the wrong thing I did mean 7.01. hope temporarily emtpying the filters folder gets you back up again, that was a good suggestion.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
The standard responses to this type of thing are:

1. Delete your prefs

That fixes Photoshop startup problems about 90% of the time! Try that next time Ken instead of a reinstall...you might save yourself some time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2003, 06:30 PM

Hi Ken,

I have Windows 98 in my laptop and "XP" in the desktop.

From my past experiences with "98", I found it necessary to re-install the operating system once a year, by doing so my system ran very well. I have only had a few crashes a year with "98"

Other things to keep in mind, keep your virus turned off during your normal operation unless going on to the Web or running it to make an occasional virus check on your system.

When installing a computer game for my son, on his computer, a few years ago, the instructions said to turn off the virus checker, and when playing the game that it would be better to leave the virus checker off. It went on to say by doing so, you could avoid any conflicks that the virus checker would cause. It makes me wonder if it could cause any conflicks in any of the other programs? I keep mine off unless I'm going on the Web or to make a virus check on the system.

"XP" has been very stable for me so far.

No operating system is perfect and no software is perfect, therefore, you are going to find unusual circumstances, like yours, happening from time to time.

Maybe The operating system didn't load up a driver that is needed to make Photoshop function correctly, that can happen? Maybe a re-install of the operating system is needed?

I hope this information can be useful.

Good luck.

DW
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software