RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Flood Filter from Flaming Pear

Old 09-04-2001, 07:13 PM

Flood Filter from Flaming Pear

The talented folks at Flaming Pear software, (See link under Melancholytron filter in the software section)Have, come up with, what I consider another winner with their "Flood" filter. As the name implies, it floods things and does it realistically and relatively quickly. I have not found any downside to this filter although I tried. I really did! The interface is easy to use, the preview window gives a very accurate view of the changes you make before applying to your photo. See example at bottom. While its applicability to photo restoration is hard for me to see, for adding a very neat water/lake/flood effect to a photo for other purposes,well, unbeatable. I have seriously played with this gem for 3 months and have yet to get it to crash. On 20 mb images, it does move real slow but so does most every filter I have tried. I have no connection with Flaming Pear other than being a very satisfied customer. All of the plug-ins from them I have purchased have worked and worked well. Further they are easy to use and fun besides. About the only downside is some are slow, but considering the results they give, I can live with that. I give this one a must have for fun and creative design but a not useful for straight restoration. Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 09-04-2001 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2001, 07:24 PM

Very cool, Tom! Thanks for another great review!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2001, 08:13 PM

OH this really looks neat!! Thanks Tom. Boy this would have been handy with that Duck challenge.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2001, 10:12 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
*Very* wet looking! Cool! Thanks for the review and link.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2001, 10:54 PM

I shamelessly admit it--- this is a filter I bought just to have fun with. It's kinda neat to flood things and have it look realistic down to the reflections in the "water". That being said, it is capable of producing some startlingly real effects and in the right hands, read talented, I know some awesome composits could be produced. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2001, 11:31 PM

Well, I'm tempted get this filter just to satisfy a curiosity of mine. Four years ago, my town had what was coined a "500 year flash flood". The main (and oldest) section of Colorado State University was under 7-8 feet of water. I rode my bike to campus the next day and stood next to the affected buildings and the water mark was still 2 feet above my head! I just have never been able to picture what it actually looked like with all of that water! Perhaps if I were to take some pictures of that part of campus - then apply this filter - I'd finally "know" what it looked like!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2001, 11:37 PM

Looks like you could have way too much fun with this plug-in! I may have to purchase it for fun as well.

:p

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2001, 11:42 PM

Ooh, ooh! I just thought of another reason I "have" to buy this filter. When I was teaching in Vietnam, my students described the flooding that occured in town almost every year. (Luckily, it didn't occur while I was there.) But, they told me in detail how high the water would get in their homes, etc. I've got plenty of picture of those areas - so if I apply the filter, then I could see what they have to live through most years. Wow - who woulda thunk it? -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2001, 11:55 PM

Well, I just checked the Flaming Pear website and there's a special package with the Melancholytron, Flood - and the Hue and Cry filter for $40. (The Melancholytron and Flood are $20 each separately, so it's like getting the Hue and Cry for free.) Tom, do you have the Hue and Cry filter? -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2001, 09:42 AM

Smile

Tom
Contact Flaming Pear and get yourself a sales commision fast, you may have started something here. Sounds like more than a few people like this one.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software