RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop CS (PS8) details and screenshots

Old 11-21-2003, 06:05 AM

Re: Photoshop CS (PS8)

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson [*]Most of the built-in filters are combined into a Filter Gallery interface, which lets you stack filter usage

What do you mean by stack?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Janitor

You can literally stack filters in the Filter Gallery interface. Here I took an image and stacked 3 random filters. You can stack as many as you want, and the settings remain editable. You can also re-order the stack and delete individual filter layers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filterstack.jpg (74.2 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2003, 06:36 PM

wow, that's awesome! thanks for the screen cap. (why aren't images shown inline?)

Is there any chance that either CS does now or a future planned version will have "dynamic" or live editable plugin layers like found in Painter 8 -- liquid metal layer?

Much like the little black-white circle button in the layers pallete bug for third party plugins. (the name of that feature escapes me at the moment)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Janitor

Filter layers have been suggested for future versions. For more details than that, you'd have to ask Adobe
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2003, 11:17 PM

thanks for the preview Doug, I've been kinda out of touch with the whole photoshop scene for a while (I've been super busy with school and work) but I was curious to see what was going to be in this latest release of PS. The Filter gallery alone almost makes it a worthwhile upgrade for me alone, I've been waiting for them to come up with something like that, it looks great. I'll have to start saving up for this upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2003, 01:41 PM

Hizaam, if you apply layer styles to an empty layer, you can get really close to filter layers or painter's chrome...

Same with most filters, just apply a hide everything mask on your image, and paint the filter back (thanks Greg Vander Houwen for that one)

So in a way, it is possible to acheive really close results of a live filter... even with PS7 and earlier versions...

I wish, still, to have a noise adjustment layer, or just be able to add noise to a gradient, instead of the current situation...

And I don't get why there is no blending mode choice, nor opacity slider in the filter gallery, nor inside every filter window, it would be a definite time saver, and would allow more adjustments...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Janitor

sPECtre:

While it won't address most of your concerns, you can fade any filter immediately after applying using Edit>Fade Filter. It's non-editable afterwards, but it does give you a preview.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2003, 06:09 AM

Yes, Doug, thanks for adding that, as I forgot to tell it in my post...

But, IMHO, fade should be in the filter dialog box: that way, you can vary the settings of the filters alongside with a different opacity and/or blending mode, instead of commiting the filter, then use fade to tweak and how it works with a certain opacity/blend mode, discard, re-launch the filter to change settings, etc...

Also , they need to put in the user guide that fade won't be available if you just applied a gaussian blur or unsharp mask to a layer with a layer mask, as these filters will affect both the mask and the layer, unless you unlink them...

This is non-standardized behaviour, yet undocumented, AFAIK

But this is not a features request section, and I am going way off-topic, sorry...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software