I just got word from on high that it's now OK for me to discuss Adobe Photoshop CS, as long as I specify that all my comments and judgements are based on the beta version of the software. Consider it so specified.
Anyway, just looking at the PScs interface you'd have to squint to see any differences from PS7. The biggest changes are under the hood:
- 16 bit support virtually everywhere
- Healing Brush now works with layers, including healing to a blank layer
- Most of the built-in filters are combined into a Filter Gallery interface, which lets you stack filter usage, control the size of the preview, and have other fine controls over the filters (no, no other filters will use this interface)
- Camera Raw is now included as an integral part of Photoshop
- The new Shadow/Highlight adjustment is truly cool, works great, and I've been dying to tell everyone about it. But it's not available as an adjustment layer
- Layer Comps are now available, which is kind of like storing a workspace, only for layer order and visibility. No, it's not like a history snapshot, if you delete a layer they won't come back
- There's a new Color Replacement tool that uses Healing brush technology, but I honestly was never able to get any good results out of it
- There's a new Photo Filter adjustment which applies traditional photo filtration to an image (ie: 85, 81, 82, etc.) and it is available as an adjustment layer
- There's a new Match Color adjustment that lets you balance one image based on another image. Honestly, I haven't used this yet.
- There's a new Histogram Palette that is truly cool, it shows your histogram change on-the-fly, and can even show them for each channel.
- The only new filter that comes to mind is Lens Blur, which simulates photographic blurring with many variables
- You can now remap all keyboard shortcuts and assign your own shortcut to just about anything via a special editor
- There's a new History Log that will record everything you do (and I do mean everything) to a text file
There's a ton of other features, these are just those that come to mind right now.
Feel free to ask questions, and I'll try to answer them if I can.