RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

PS cs Activation Hysteria

Old 10-05-2003, 05:16 AM

Interesting situation although it amused me to see amongst all the Adobe initialisation blurb that they would still have to provide versions for corporate distribution. I wonder what form these will take as I can't see large licence holders tolerating sole user procedures.

The action taken against the 12 year old aroused great interest on this side. Allowing for press inacuraccies would the copyright agencies have proceeded against a child ? With regard to file sharing the record companies lost the battle the day Napster appeared, their once lucrative back catalogues now reside on the net.

Last edited by chris h; 10-05-2003 at 08:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2003, 08:18 AM

Why don't they do like the kids game developers have always done - no disk, no play. And, you can't copy the disks (we've tried - one for home and one for Grandma's house - the copy wouldn't work.

Two computers, no problem, ship 2 disks in each box - one for home, one for the studio. So what if you keep one disk and give the other one away.

Catia, CJ is right, now is always a good time to switch to a Mac

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2003, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Why don't they do like the kids game developers have always done - no disk, no play. And, you can't copy the disks (we've tried - one for home and one for Grandma's house - the copy wouldn't work.
Margaret, unfortunately as soon as a disc protection scheme comes out, a crack is found for it. There are very few CD protection schemes that can't be copied - you just need the right copy software. It's like Catia's padlocks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2003, 02:53 PM

activation work around

I attend classes at a local community college and priated software rules the day. Students have already exchanged PS CS with a work around that does not require activation. I have no idea how they got the copies so quick and figure out how to by pass the activation but they do, as is the case with all software, even when Quark required the dongle they had copies that did not. It seems to become a challenge to many, the more they try to stop the more they try to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2003, 01:10 PM

Intuit Says It's Really, Really Sorry For Product Activation

Intuit Says Sorry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2003, 05:50 AM

Software activation is no more going to abolish software piracy than are unconstitutional gun registration laws going to abolish any crime.

* news flash *

criminals don't follow the law.

Criminals won't register their guns any more than they'll register their pirated software. Activation only serves to annoy paying customers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2003, 10:56 PM

While I agree with you as to the constitutionality...

of gun registration, I disagree with your assessment of the usefulness of laws. Laws are not made solely for the purpose of deterring criminal behavior. The are also enacted to PROSECUTE criminal behavior. So while they may not abide by laws, they can be arrested and charged if they violate them. That is the purpose of laws.

While your general assessment of the effectiveness of activation in deterring piracy may be accurate, it's pretty moot. That's the method they have chosen, so the choice is (legally speaking), buy it and use it, or don't buy it, don't use it. In the end, there has yet to be an effective method of deterring or stopping piracy. Some mention dongles, but of course they have downsides as well, and are also defeatable.

In the end, we lock the doors to our houses, and do the best we can. It's Adobe's investment, and they have to do what they believe is best to protect their interests.

Unlike the OP mentioned about "Big Brother", I don't see that as applicable. First, Big Brother GENERALLY refers to actions by the Government to intrude on privacy. This is commerce we are talking about, and people have the option of not participating. The government usually doesn't give you the choice.

Being a person who tweaks his machine alot, I run the risk of having Activation issues, but I elect to take that risk as I tend to believe that Adobe will be reasonable in their application of their Activation policy. If I encounter otherwise, then perhaps I will join the ranks of those who don't do business with Adobe anymore. But I'm not going to assume the worst from the start.

VES
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software