RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Filename used as text layer

Old 09-06-2004, 10:53 AM

Thanks! and one question

This thread was extremely helpful to me in processing a large number of photos. Excellent descriptions.

One question: is there a way to add a colored (black) background to the text box that surrounds the red letters? sometimes photos have varied colors that makes it difficult to read the filename. I looked around and saw commands like "background-color #000000;, but couldnt get the syntax right.

Let me know if this is possible.

thanks

Jminer
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminer
This thread was extremely helpful to me in processing a large number of photos. Excellent descriptions.

One question: is there a way to add a colored (black) background to the text box that surrounds the red letters? sometimes photos have varied colors that makes it difficult to read the filename. I looked around and saw commands like "background-color #000000;, but couldnt get the syntax right.

Let me know if this is possible.

thanks

Jminer
Glad you found this useful. Me too. I can barely spell "scripting" and it gave me an opportunity to learn something.

re:"One question: is there a way to add a colored (black) background to the text box that surrounds the red letters?"

I'm sure there's a way to script this, but this may be a whole lot easier if time is of the essence: Following the command in the action that calls the script I would record the application of a Layer Style to the Text layer where effects such as Stroke (using a contrasting color) and perhaps others if needed are applied to make the text stand out regardless of image.

Would this get you anywhere?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2004, 10:52 PM

almost got it

Danny,

I am almost there. I recorded an action in photoshop that runs before the filename. it copies the picture, then enlarges the canvas, then creates a new black layer then pastes the picture on top, then runs the filename script.

this works really well. except that my canvas enlargement defaults to the "from the center" setting in stead of "from the top center". I dont understand why this is. it even says top in the description of the action.

Any idea why the action defaults to the center? It works correctly when I record it.

This is photoshop, not scripting.

Jminer
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 PM

OK, Now I got it to work

the solution was to change the background color to black (duh!) and enlarge the canvas. then run the script. I packed it all away in a droplet and will be converting a few hundred photos with this trick.

thanks much!

Jminer
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2004, 12:24 AM

Quote:
One question: is there a way to add a colored (black) background to the text box that surrounds the red letters?
OK, I´m on it....
Quote:
the solution was ..........
Oops, maybe too late.

You should find below a "Version 2.0" of AddFileName. Besides some general (internal) housekeeping chores, I put in the background behind the text. Also you can now choose the colors - the text and background will be in the foreground / background colors of PS. Default <D> will be black text on white background, but you can probably think of something much better.

I think that the size of the text could vary with the size of the image .. but that's something for tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
...you have a pretty good chance of being able to figure out Chevys if you have access to a couple Chevrolet tech manuals.
I do quite a bit of work in VBasic (Access), writing JavaScript is like being on vaction. Concise, direct and no fussing => fun!

Roland
Attached Files
File Type: zip AddFileName_2.zip (836 Bytes, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
OK, I´m on it....
Ro... you da man. It's never too late to make code enhancements.

You just elevated yourself to "My JS hero!"

Well done and greatly appreciated.

- - - - - -

Jminer: Glad you came up with a creative solution. Way to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2005, 01:33 PM

I've just found the forum while looking for information about filename text layers and found this really interesting thread . Even if not active now I though it was the best place to post my question:

How can I create a layer displaying the DATE when the picture was taken instead of the filename? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yann_
I've just found the forum while looking for information about filename text layers and found this really interesting thread . Even if not active now I though it was the best place to post my question:

How can I create a layer displaying the DATE when the picture was taken instead of the filename? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome, Yann...

It seems like this should not be a difficult thing to script, but I did not have a lot of success finding script examples.

How are your VBA or Java scripting skills? If strong, the following information may be helpful:

http://www.shotgraph.com/script_photo_src.htm
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...64.8@.3bb6ddf3

If you don't have strong scripting skills (I certainly do not), look into a program called Exifer (click HERE). It looks promising.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Scripting with a Mac?

I am trying to add the filename to may photos using the scripting function. I have gotten as far as downloading the file from Adobe and installing it on my computer, however, when I attempt to use it in Photoshop>Automate>Scripting...there is nothing that says AddFileName. I only have a few options like Color Match, AdjustLevels etc., I'm pretty sure it's installed right.

Any advice for Mac users?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulrich
I am trying to add the filename to may photos using the scripting function. I have gotten as far as downloading the file from Adobe and installing it on my computer, however, when I attempt to use it in Photoshop>Automate>Scripting...there is nothing that says AddFileName. I only have a few options like Color Match, AdjustLevels etc., I'm pretty sure it's installed right.

Any advice for Mac users?
Thanks
Gemerally speaking MacOS doesn't need file name extensions like Windows does, but Mac/PS has this requirement for some file types. So the following is a shot in the dark...

Open the folder that contains the Color Match, AdjustLevels, etc. script files -- the ones that show up in the Scripts menu.

Do their file names end with ".js"? If true and the file you downloaded from Adobe does not, change its file name accordingly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software