RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop Longevity

View Poll Results: How long have you been using Photoshop?
Since v2.0 or earlier 34 10.83%
Since v3.0 36 11.46%
4.0 44 14.01%
5.0 61 19.43%
6.0 49 15.61%
7.0 48 15.29%
CS 24 7.64%
I use something other than Photoshop. 18 5.73%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2005, 06:48 PM

Hi Guys, brand new to the site but been lurking a while. I'm really learning a lot from the tutorials and comments - great community.

Anyway, I started with PS5 then drifted away from photography for a while.
Came back with PSP8 before getting PS7. I upgraded this to CS. I'm not an Adobe fan, but have to admit that PS is the only way to go.

I have tried the CS2 upgrade, but I think I'm going to wait. I think I'm going to upgrade CS with the Bibble plug-in, which I much prefer to ACR.

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 PM

Well I started on PSP 3 but my first copy of PS was version 4 it came free with an epson scanner which was one of the big incentives to buy it as photoshop cost more than the scanner did. My manager went into town bought the biggest photoshop book he could find and away I went, never looked back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2005, 03:03 PM

i think my first paint program was on a C-64, but i'll be darned if i can remember what it was staying with commodore, i made the move to an amiga 2000 and bought deluxe paint iii, a great program, one of the simplest ever to use. reluctantly, i had to make the move to pc's and found a shareware version of paint shop pro, back before jasc got into the works, version 4.12. it's still around on the net somewhere.

after using psp 4.12 for years on and off, i finally decided out of guilt that i really shld register it and pay for it and get the latest version. and lo and behold, about that time, psp 7 came out in the local retail store so i took the plunge, upgraded it to 7.2 and have been using it ever since.

i still miss my amiga and deluxe paint iii though

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Anybody remember the Koala "drawing tablet" for the Atari 400/800?

It came with software you ran from the floppy drive (we're talking single density 5.25" here). That's what I started with. I was a freshman in high school at the time. And I didn't even have the drawing pad, just the software. The pad used one of the joystick ports. But since I didn't have the pad, I just plugged in the joystick (yep, one of those old school black Atari joysticks with the red fire button in the corner). It gave me some rudimentary control. I could clumbsily paint, Etch-A-Sketch style. And there was about 8 colors you could work with.

How far technology has come... Now I'm using Photoshop CS2 (been using Phososhop since version 2.??), with a 12"x18" Wacom Intous tablet, waiting for the Wacom Cintiq 21UX that I ordered to ship. Can't wait to get my hands on that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 06:10 PM

Re Koala pad http://www.answers.com/topic/koala-pad

Ah memories
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Yep, that was it. Thanks for the link deadants!

That was great reading about it again. All our school had was the Koala Paint software disk. Oh how we wanted the pad, too. It was a lot of fun, though.

Back then when I was tinkering with Koala Paint was about the same time I was looking into getting a light pen so I could draw right on the TV screen. For whatever reason, they never caught on. It's taken technology over 22 years to get back to that point--being able to draw right on the screen. Now, if Wacom would just ship the thing...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 09:25 PM

I started with PS 5 and fell in love with it. I am self taught, and I can't believe what I still don't know. I love this site because I learn so much by practicing and seeing what others are doing. I have upgraded to CS 2 and I am still learning all that is new on it.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 01:54 AM

I actually started with Photoshop 4.0 (still have it). But then Jasc lured me over with Paintshop Pro 8 which had a cool new feature (new to me at least) at the time called background eraser (Photoshop has since added that feature as well) and a way better UI that was customizable to boot. Not to mention it was $60. It also had all of those "auto" features I liked to use for most photos without being so crippled like photoshop elements. I also appreciated that Jasc let you try to program for free for 30 days (Adobe hadn't done that yet either.)

I still hang on to my v4 copy of Photoshop for upgrade pricing in case either Corel or Adobe gives me a good reason to switch back over to Adobe. I anxiously await the next "showdown" -- CS3 versus PSP11?

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 11:11 AM

Started with the first version of Photoshop. I also started with the first version of Pagemaker (what a dog). When I called, I think it was Aldus, they said, "yes, they were planning to fix the bugs in the next version which I could upgrade to for $125."..... went back to Word and migrated to Quark when it came on the market, but I digress. With Photoshop I haven't jumped every time an ungraded was released, unless I saw some significant changes, which with some versions, was questionable. Now I switch back between CS, CS2. I found an older disk of photographic edges version 4 the other day and wanted to see if I could use any of the edges. Needed to use OSX9 and booted up PS 6.... boy have things changed.
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
i think my first paint program was on a C-64, but i'll be darned if i can remember what it was K.
OMG Kraellin, I remember the Commodore 64 days and those huge black floppies and having to load and then "run" your programs which could take FOREVER! MY kids had the cutest "muppet keyboard" they put out for it. Those were the days... not.
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software