Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Neat Image

View Poll Results: Do You Use Neat Image
No 60 30.30%
Yes, Demo Version 56 28.28%
Yes, Home Version 13 6.57%
Yes, Home Plus Version (has PhotoShop Plugin) 9 4.55%
Yes, Pro Version 5 2.53%
Yes, Pro Plus Version (has PhotoShop Plugin) 55 27.78%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Grain Surgery is good, but overly complicated in what it needs to get done.
Noisware Pro is as good if not better, but much simpler to use. It attacks noise from amany different directions and tells you where the worst noise is in the image so that you don't need to affect that portion. It also very quickly gives you a "Variations" choice to start with if you need it.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 02:12 PM
use ASF only
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Neat Image V5

First post here, new version of Neat Image is out. Seems to be a improvement over previous version for as much as I have used it so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 04:58 AM
With all the discussion about different noise reduction software that seems to have arisen, I thought this may be of interest. It compares the different types available. Some of it is out of date, but generally a good overview and examples for comparison.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Supposedly the new Neat Image 5.0 is a huge step forward in noise reduction. I haven't tested it out myself so I am not sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 AM
pro + , i was using NoiseNinja but now I prefer NeatImage

the plugin in Adobe is very praticle, i normally prefer corel photopaint but no plugins for it
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 01:37 PM
i used to use neat image a lot, but since psp 10 i've been using its 'digital camera noise removal' more. very similar to neat image and allows for multiple sampling areas within the same scan.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 09:01 PM
I used to use Noise Ninja a lot, but since I got the hang of the PSPX NR tool (was in PSP9 as well), it's really superior for most situations. Amazingly smooth results combined with excellent detail preservation. It's also got an excellent user interface for protecting certain color ranges from NR.

I still use Noise Ninja (plugin version) for images that are really bad (such as when I'm trying to stretch my camera's ISO by intentionally underexposing shots and then brightening them in Paintshop).

If Corel decides to allow the PSPX NR tool to have noise profiles, I think Noise Ninja and Neat Image will be in trouble. NN and NI still have one other advantage--they run much faster.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by irrik
i normally prefer corel photopaint but no plugins for it
Plugins are generally written to Photoshop standards. Programs like Photo-Paint, Paintshop Pro, etc. are written to so they can use plugins conforming to these standards.

Unless a plugin specifically excludes Photo-Paint, I'll bet there's a high likelihood it would work. Can't hurt to try.

I have a separate folder for third party plugins, which allows me to easily share them between Photoshop and Corel Painter. Should be the same deal for Photo-Paint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 09:21 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

Just yesterday I did a little chart comparing the various noise-reducing plug-ins on a 100% size detail from a 35mm scanned image. In my experience with this particular image, Noise Ninja did the best job, followed closely by Noiseware, Neat Image and Digital GEM Pro. Some others merely turned the grain to mush in the name of reduction.

I did not try Grain Surgery (I have it, but to install it requires quitting all running apps, and that's never convenient unless you plan ahead...).

I don't have any digital-source files that are that noisy, except for a few long exposures of a distant forest fire at night. Again, Noise Ninja and Noiseware did the best job on it.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software