RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Scratch Sizes, Ram, and Efficiency

Old 10-19-2001, 02:35 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Scratch Sizes, Ram, and Efficiency

I need a little help understanding this. I'm running a PC with 256 megs of ram. When I have an image open and I view "efficiency" in the status bar, I sometimes get less than 100%. Doesn't this mean I am using the scratch disk? An example of one image shows 95% efficiency, and scratch sizes shows 60.3M/188.6M, while another shows 87% efficiency and scratch sizes shows 20M/188.6M. Yet another image might be much larger in file size, but efficiency shows 100%. I have one hard drive set up as my scratch disk, and it has 14.8 gigs free. Doesn't the first number indicate the amount of ram used for the image? I thought the second number indicated the size of the scratch disk available, but why does it only show 188.6 M?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 02:52 PM

Ed,
I did a help search on Photoshop and here's what was written on Scratch size and efficiency.

Scratch Sizes- to display information on the amount of RAM and scratch disk used to process the image. The number on the left represents the amount of memory that is currently being used by the program to display all open images. The number on the right represents the total amount of RAM available for processing images.

Efficiency- to display the percentage of time actually doing an operation instead of reading or writing the scratch disk. If the value is below 100%, Photoshop is using the scratch disk and, therefore, is operating more slowly.

Hope this helps.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 03:01 PM

Debbie,

Thanks for the information. Where did you find it? That clears up the "scratch sizes" issue. As per the "efficiency", I'm not sure if you can answer this, but I wonder why Photoshop would use the scratch disk when there is still plenty of ram to be used. My example above shows one image with efficiency at 87%, yet it is only using 20 megs of ram, while the others have higher efficiencies, but more ram is being used. Just doesn't make sense to me. There's only one image open at any time.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 03:10 PM

Ed,
Maybe it has to do with how much of your RAM you have alloted to Photoshop. If you go to preferences > Memory & Cache you will see an area to assign Physical Memory Usage. It tells you your available RAm and you can allot a percentage to use. I have mine set at 60% right now but you could go higher if you wanted.

As to where I got the information, go to the help file and under index look for scratch sizes.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 03:13 PM

Debbie,

I have my ram available for Photoshop set to 85%. I guess that's where the 188.6M come from in the scratch sizes information. I did a search on Photoshop too, but I didn't find much at all. Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 03:20 PM

Mine goes online and that I think was different than 5.0 or 5.5. You maxed out my answer potential Ed. Don't know why you're getting those readings for sure. Guess you will have to wait on a more experienced member to answer that.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 03:23 PM

At least you got me straightened out on part of it. Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2001, 10:43 AM

hey ed

do pc's suffer from disc fragmentation, or is that just a mac problem? i think that can contribute in my system anyway, and running a utility to optimize the disk helped. you know what a computer guru i am
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2001, 12:16 PM

Kathleen,

Pc's get the same old disease! But I doubt that's the problem because I can open one image right after another, and the same thing exists. But I just happened to defrag both hard drives last night, so when I get offline, I'll go back to check it out. If it's better, I'll let you know. It just doesn't make sense to me that one image would only use 20 megs of ram and run at 87% efficiency, while another would use 60 megs of ram and run at 94%. I sure wish somebody could explain that. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2001, 12:35 PM

Kathleen, Queen of Gurus!!

You hit the mark square on Kathleen! That made a big difference. Thanks for the advice. Every so often, I have to shut down my computer manually, not being able to do it any other way (it freezes up). I'm sure that doesn't help with the fragmentation. Guess I'll have to defrag more often.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software