Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop CS -- two questions

Old 09-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Photoshop CS -- two questions

I'm still using Photoshop 7, and I'm wondering what you feel is the best feature in the "what's new in Photoshop CS", and why you feel that way.

Also, since CS has much more support for 16 bit per channel scans, do you now scan in 16 bit mode, or do you stick with 8 bits?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2004, 08:45 PM
photoshop CS

Not in order of things I like about CS but some that help make it worthwhile...

Improved Browser and Metadata File - Lets me keep a set of notes with each picture rather than a hard copy. Browser easy to navigate and customize.
The Shadow/Highlight feature - Teriffic aid when a picture has data that can be rescued from the shadows. And it is editable.
The Photomerge - for obvious reasons
Automated Crop and Straighten - Can scan a whole page of stuff at once rather than one at a time.
16-bit editing (albeit somewhat limited) - I only use this in connection with RAW; but the colors are much more vibrant and easy to control. The file sizes are doubled in 16 bit, so I always convert them after corrections to save space.
I love the raw format (also available as a plugin on version 7)
Text on a path (Yippee) Enough said.

For my use, I only have to purchase Photoshop rather than Illustrator and... for some effect or graphic that might get used once in a blue moon or less.

It was definitely worth the upgrade. However, I probably won't need to upgrade ever again. There are way too many other goodies in Photoshop I haven't explored (and probably won't) to make purchasing subsequent versions cost effective.

One thing I'm not wild about is that it takes much longer to load than any of my previous versions. Don't know why but it does.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2004, 08:10 AM
I have to agree with Janet the shadow/highlight filter is great, i also like the photofilter filter, and the file browser is great. I also found the new replace colour tool has been a big help on the last project i had where there was a lot of red eye in the pictures i had to repair. definatly worth the upgrade cost!!
Janet - part of the reason that cs takes a little longer to start up is , when it starts it also starts another process ( i can't remember the name right now)and it has something to do with anti-piracy i think
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2004, 05:13 PM
photoshop cs

CS also has a built in feature that does not allow scanned or copied money to open within the program. Is that what you are talking about?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software